STANFORD, Calif. — U.S. men’s soccer coach Jurgen Klinsmann says his son should apologize to Landon Donovan for a “disrespectful” tweet after the U.S. star was cut from the World Cup roster.
Jonathan Klinsmann, a goalkeeper on the U.S. Under-18 roster announced last month, followed Thursday’s roster announcement by tweeting: “HAHAHAHAHAHAH DONOVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL MY PHONE NOTIFIED ME” followed by four emoticons with tears and another “HAHA.” The account was quickly deleted.
“Hugely disappointed. I called him right away,” the elder Klinsmann said during a news conference Friday. “He realized just a few minutes after that what he’s done. He came out of school kind of fooling around with his classmates, and they just went off on Twitter, not being aware of that he’s actually followed on Twitter.
“He has a huge admiration for Landon. He’s actually a big fan of him since many, many years. He has his jersey in his room,” the coach continued. “He realized what he’s done, so he was devastated yesterday. And obviously as a father you put him in line and he owes him a huge, huge apology. That was highly disrespectful, and I think he got his biggest social media lesson that he could imagine.”
Jonathan Klinsmann announced in February he had verbally committed to attend Cal.