By Aaron Lommers Herald Writer
1. Philadelphia Wings (2-0), The Wings scored an 8-7 victory over Toronto last Saturday to knock the Rock from the ranks of the unbeaten and stand alone as the NLL’s only undefeated team. Young nucleus of talent is making my pick of the Wings winning the championship look pretty good so far.
2. Edmonton Rush (1-1), The Rush recovered from a tough one-goal loss in their first game to defeat the Washington Stealth 18-10. Edmonton looked strong in all areas of the game and has a much-improved offense.
3. Toronto Rock (2-1), Rock suffered their first defeat to Philadelphia, but a one-goal loss to one of the better teams in the league isn’t something to be too concerned about.
4. Buffalo Bandits (2-1), Bandits are one of four teams in the league above .500 and are coming off an impressive one-goal win over defending champion Rochester.
5. Washington Stealth (2-1), The nature of last week’s loss makes me drop the Stealth from first to fifth, but games like this happen in all sports and if the Stealth can go into Edmonton on Friday night and get a win they are sure to move right back up in next week’s rankings. Two wins this weekend could really give Washington some breathing room at the top of the West.
6. Colorado Mammoth (1-1), Rebounded from a tough loss to Washington with a 13-12 victory over Calgary to avoid hitting the cellar in the West.
7. Rochester Knighthawks (0-2), I honestly don’t believe that there are six teams better than the Knighthawks in the NLL, but until they start pickup wins I can’t justify ranking them in the upper half.
8. Calgary Roughnecks (0-2), Similar story as the Knighthawks for the Roughnecks. Calgary is much more talented than their record says, but they have to win some games to get moved up. Really bad start for the Roughnecks in a tough West Division. Could be hard to recover from.
9. Minnesota Swarm (0-1), Swarm were idle last week so they stay at the bottom of the rankings. A good showing this weekend with back-to-back games and they will shoot right up the poll next week.