The WHL released its 2012-13 schedule this afternoon. Everett’s 72-game schedule can be found on the Silvertips website. Everett’s season begins on Saturday, Sept. 22, at home against the Prince George Cougars. It ends on Sunday, March 17, at home against the Tri-City Americans.
Some quick impressions about the schedule:
– Jari Erricson gets his return to Everett out of the way early as the Tips host Prince George twice on the opening weekend.
– Everett’s eastern swing takes place super early this season. The Tips begin their six-game swing through the East Division on Oct. 12 in Brandon, then conclude it Oct. 20 at Saskatoon. Everett shouldn’t have to worry about snowy road conditions this season.
– No new year’s eve home game. I’m guessing that’s because it’s on a Monday this year, and the Tips have games each of the three days that weekend.
– The defending WHL champion Edmonton Oil Kings visit Comcast Arena on March 1.
– For the first time in six seasons the Tips end the season at home with that game against Tri-City.
– I counted five three-in-three weekends. Four of those are in the second half.
– Spokane and Vancouver are the odd teams out this season. The Tips play Spokane just eight times instead of 10 like the rest of the U.S. Division, and Everett faces Vancouver six times instead of four like the rest of the B.C. Division.