Retired NFL players object to proposed concussion settlement

  • By Nathan Fenno Los Angeles Times
  • Thursday, July 3, 2014 4:19pm
  • SportsSports

In the first objection to the revised National Football League concussion settlement, seven retired players claim the proposed agreement is riddled with “fatal defects” that “render it anything but fair.”

Filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia, the 47-page objection targets, in part, the settlement’s limits on chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, compensation and the 75 percent reduction in monetary awards to players who suffered a stroke or traumatic brain injury unrelated to football.

The objection also says the proposed settlement notice is “false and misleading” because it doesn’t indicate that players diagnosed with CTE after the settlement’s preliminary approval aren’t eligible for compensation.

“It is a lousy deal for the retired players,” the objection said.

After U.S. District Judge Anita Brody rejected the proposed $765 million settlement in January, the NFL and plaintiffs’ lawyers submitted a revised version last month. To address Brody’s concerns about the settlement’s adequacy, the NFL removed its cap on payouts to retired players diagnosed with a qualifying neurocognitive condition. In exchange, there isn’t any limit to the number of payouts the league can appeal.

Both the NFL and co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs contend in the revised settlement that the original compensation fund of $675 million is sufficient.

The objection criticizes the mechanics buried in the settlement, including that players who don’t register with the claims administrator within 180 days of notice are ineligible for any benefits and that appealing an award decision costs $1,000 to players (the amount is refunded if they win) while the NFL pays nothing. Additionally, NFL Europe players aren’t credited for seasons in the league (award amounts are adjusted depending on a player’s experience) though they are bound by the settlement.

The seven players involved in the objection — Roderick Cartwright, Sean Considine, Alan Faneca, Ben Hamilton, Sean Morey, Jeff Rohrer and Robert Royal — expressed similar concerns in a separate motion to intervene in the litigation in May.

The proposed settlement covers all retired players, regardless of whether they sued the NFL, who don’t opt out.

More in Sports

Walton has Edmonds CC men’s basketball back in contention

The sophomore forward — recovered from injury — will lead the Tritons into a rivalry battle at Everett.

Report: Seahawks to bring back Norton, Solari as assistants

Norton would replace Richard as defensive coordinator and Solari would be the offensive line coach.

Silvertips hold off Tri-City for 6-5 victory

Matt Fonteyne tied a club record with 5 assists for Everett.

UW men’s basketball players making voices heard

The Huskies’ discussion of social injustice with a professor spurred the team into action.

Karrah Smith wrestles Tim Rachal during practice at Granite Falls High School on Friday, Jan. 12, 2018 in Granite Falls, Wa. She finished sixth in the 145-pound weight class at last year’s Mat Classic and is eyeing a better finish this season at 170 pounds. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Five things to know about Granite Falls’ Karrah Smith

When she’s wrestling, Karrah Smith likes to be in control. During matches… Continue reading

BLOG: Silvertips run streak to five straight with win over Tri-City

The Weekend To borrow sports parlance, the Everett Silvertips “got the result… Continue reading

BLOG: ‘Big Walt’ visits Everett to to drop puck and Silvertips win

I want to thank @Benton_Mike, the @WHLsilvertips and @C_Hart70 for welcoming me… Continue reading

Monday’s prep results, with links to recaps

Here are Monday’s prep results, with links to recaps: BOYS BASKETBALL Wesco… Continue reading

POLL: Will Edgar Martinez get into the Hall of Fame?

The Seattle Mariners legend will learn on Jan. 24 whether he received enough votes for enshrinement

Most Read