Sixth-seeded Del Potro first big casualty at Australian Open

  • Associated Press
  • Friday, January 18, 2013 11:41pm
  • SportsSports

MELBOURNE, Australia — Sixth-seeded Juan Martin del Potro became the first major casualty of the Australian Open when he lost in five sets Saturday to Jeremy Chardy of France.

The 6-foot-6 Argentinian, the 2009 U.S. Open champion, had only dropped 13 games in two matches before facing Chardy — the fewest number of all the men — until his 6-3, 6-3, 6-7 (3), 3-6, 6-3 third-round defeat.

Chardy won the first two sets and, after del Potro rallied to level at two-all, got the crucial break in the eighth game of the fifth set and then held to clinch the match, closing with an ace.

The 36th-ranked Frenchman frustrated del Potro with a mix of drop shots, well-angled forehands and backhand slices, one of which sent del Potro running into the stands in the third set.

Del Potro had been tipped as an outside contender for the title in the absence of 11-time major winner Rafael Nadal, but his loss leaves only leaves three Grand Slam winners in the men’s draw. Of those, Andy Murray advanced on Saturday, and Roger Federer was playing a night match. No. 1-ranked Novak Djokovic continued his run toward a third consecutive Australian Open title with a third-round win on Friday night.

“Of course, it’s not a good result after I came back from two sets down, but Jeremy played really well in the fifth set,” he said. “He was so calm to close the match in the end.

“Jeremy played so strong during four hours. He made a lot of winners with the forehand, very good slices. In the end, when he had the chance to break me, he did. He played better in the important moments and he took the chance to win the match.”

Chardy had a win over No. 3-ranked Andy Murray at Cincinnati last year, but said the win over del Potro was a bigger personal achievement in the circumstances.

“Here it’s something more because Australian Open, third round, I play a top player,” he said. “It’s a big win for me. And maybe the best of my career.”

He will meet Andreas Seppi in the fourth round after the No. 21-seeded Italian beat No. 12 Marin Cilic.

More in Sports

Archbishop Murphy’s Ray Pimentel, right, attempts a stiff arm on North Kitsap’s Kyle Green Friday night at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Snohomish on November 17, 2017. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy fends off North Kitsap in state matchup

Top-ranked Wildcats ride big plays, timely defense to beat Vikings 28-21 in football playoff. (Video)

Seahawks’ aging ‘Legion of Boom’ missing key parts

Richard Sherman returns to headquarters following season-ending surgery; Kam Chancellor likely out Monday.

Utah’s dynamic quarterback has UW’s attention

Sophomore Tyler Huntley will provide the Huskies with a big challenge with his ability to run and pass.

Virginia Tech routs Washington 103-79 in 2K Classic

Jaylen Nowell scores 21 points to lead the Huskies, which lost their second straight.

Vitelli’s 3rd-period goal lifts Silvertips past T-birds

The 16-year-old rookie breaks a 1-1 tie and Everett hangs on to beat rival Seattle 3-2.

King’s girls soccer to play for 1A state title

Katie Stella and Callie Wright scored for the Knights in the 2-0 win over Seattle Academy.

REFLECTIONS: A big night for milestones, streaks and goalies

The Game The Everett Silvertips started slowly. Very slowly. They had just… Continue reading

Members of the offensive line look over a play during practice Wednesday afternoon at Monroe High in Monroe on November 15, 2017. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
After historic win, Monroe football sets sights on Sumner

The Bearcats advanced to the quarterfinals after their first-ever state-playoff win last week.

Return of goalie Hart boosts Silvertips’ confidence

Everett has gone 3-1-0-1 since Hart returned to the lineup after an illness earlier this season.

Most Read