Hawks tumble: MLT in position to win game but comes up short

  • Tue Oct 12th, 2010 8:31pm

By David Pan Enterprise sports editor

Mountlake Terrace had its opportunities to pull the upset of the week.

But the Hawks couldn’t move the ball in a critical drive with two minutes left in the game and Glacier Peak hung on for a 37-35 victory in a Western Conference 3A football game Oct. 8 at Edmonds Stadium.

After a 25-yard field goal by David Linney gave the Grizzlies a 37-20 lead with 6:04 left in the fourth quarter, Mountlake Terrace stormed back with a pair of touchdowns. Quarterback Hunter Rook found freshman running back DeVante Downs on a 8-yard touchdown pass. Then Zack Karels picked up a Grizzly fumble and returned it 98 yards for a touchdown to cut the lead to 37-35 with 2:27 remaining in the game.

Glacier Peak (5-0 in the league, 5-1 overall) eventually turned over the ball on its own 48 on downs but Mountlake Terrace (1-3, 3-3) was not able to move the ball, throwing four straight incomplete passes. The Grizzlies then ran out the clock.

Mountlake Terrace coach Tony Umayam appreciated his players’ determination not to give up when it appeared Glacier Peak was well on its way to the victory.

“I was proud of the kids, the fact that they kept playing hard. They kept fighting,” Umayam said. “When you’re down to a real good team like that, it becomes easy to pack in the tent. I’m proud of the team, that they didn’t do that.”

On Mountlake Terrace’s final offensive play of the game, Rook appears to find a streaking Karels down the middle of the field but the ball was batted away at the last moment by Glacier Peak’s Quinton Dunbar.

“They made a couple of excellent defensive plays,” Umayam said. “We know we had to put the ball up in the air and that’s not necessarily our forte. … On that fourth down play, he threw an excellent ball to Zack Karels and their secondary guy just made an excellent play on the ball.”

The Mountlake Terrace defense was able to keep Glacier Peak quarterback Kevin Campbell under control in the first half, but Campbell lit up the Hawks for three second-half touchdowns.

“They’re such a good offensive team,” Umayam said. “They put up a lot of points on us and I think we still have a pretty good defense.”

Campbell connected on touchdown passes of 58 and 22 yards to Tanner Southard in the third quarter and then found Colin Park on a 13-yard scoring strike early in the fourth quarter.

Mountlake Terrace recovered one fumble and intercepted the ball three times in the first half, while the Hawks fumbled the ball away once and were picked off twice.

“It was kind of a turnover-fest, where it was just who was going to be able to keep the ball,” Umayam said. “They made just a couple more plays than we did.”

Glacier Peak took a 6-0 lead on a 1-yard run by Hunter Lundstrom on fourth-and-goal in the first quarter.

Mountlake Terrace (1-3, 3-3) responded with an 8-yard touchdown run by Downs and with kicker Jalen Pahinui’s extra point the Hawks led 7-6. Mountlake Terrace extended its advantage to 14-6 when Rook’s pass went through tight end Mitch Haldane’s hands and was caught by Karels for an 18-yard touchdown.

Glacier Peak responded with a 5-yard run by Luke Kaestener and the teams went into halftime tied at 14.

The loss dropped Mountlake Terrace into sixth place in the league standings with critical games against Shorewood, Everett and Lynnwood ahead. The top four teams advance to the quad-district playoffs.

“We have to be realistic of where we are in the league standings right now,” Umayam said. “Right now it’s looking like we have a few must-win games ahead of us to get there.”

The Hawks take on Shorewood at 7 p.m., Oct. 15 at Shoreline Stadium. The Thunderbirds (1-4. 2-4) are coming off a 28-3 loss to Meadowdale.