Cable, satellite TV to gain when analog goes silent

  • Associated Press
  • Friday, February 15, 2008 8:11pm
  • Business

TV’s big switch from analog to digital broadcasts will be complete in just one year, on Feb. 17, 2009, and many consumers are puzzling over how the shift will affect them: Do they need a new converter box, a new TV, a better antenna?

But it’s pretty clear which business interests stand to gain.

Cable and satellite TV companies could see a wave of new subscribers as people with older TVs pass on hooking up converter boxes to older televisions or buying new sets. Local stations are already using some of the extra capacity digital broadcasting frees up by launching auxiliary TV channels with weather, traffic and they’re looking for ways to bring regular programming to portable devices.

The Federal Communications Commission began the switch many years ago to free up a large chunk of U.S. airwaves, which the government is in the process of auctioning off, a process that will net billions of dollars for public coffers. Making all UHF broadcast spectrum above channel 52 available will allow for powerful new wireless services, and possibly for a new network for public safety officials to use during disasters.

Most U.S. TV stations already broadcast digital signals as well as analog. What’s happening a year from Sunday is they’ll switch off the analog signals. No one with cable or satellite service will be affected, nor will anyone who gets stations over the air with a newer TV with a digital tuner.

Those who will be affected are the 13 million or so households that get TV broadcasts exclusively over the air and have a TV more than a few years old — or even a newer TV that’s relatively small. Also affected are TVs not connected to cable, even if a home has cable.

A Nielsen Co. study released Friday found that 16.8 percent of all U.S. households have at least one analog television set that would not work following the switch. And Hispanics are nearly twice as likely as whites to be without TV reception.

Affected households can get a digital converter box, buy a new television or sign up for cable or satellite service or one of the newer cablelike services being offered by phone companies.

A government-sponsored program has begun sending out coupons worth $40 each to any U.S. household that requests them to subsidize buying a box. Each household is entitled to two coupons for the boxes, which are just coming into stores now and start at $40 or $50, making this option easy and practically free. The government says it has funds for 33 million coupons. To get one, go online to www.dtv2009.gov. or call 888-388-2009.

All TVs being sold today have digital tuners, which are sometimes called ATSC tuners, after the technical standard used to make them (the analog standard was known as NTSC). If your current TV is less than a year old, the initials “DTV” appear somewhere on its front, or its screen is rectangular, you’re probably OK. If you still have the owner’s manual, check there whether the tuner is digital.

The switch could give an economic boost to retailers and manufacturers, who would benefit from selling the boxes and new TVs. And cable providers could get a boost over the next year or two from consumers who sign up for new service rather than deal with the other options.

An estimated 1.4 million households will likely switch to pay TV service as a result of the digital TV transition — enough to significantly lift the growth rates for the cable industry in 2009, according to a report from Sanford C. Bernstein &Co.

Chris Murray, senior counsel for Consumers Union, says his organization is watching that pay TV operators don’t take advantage of confusion over the digital transition to push people into buying cable to view digital TV broadcasts. It isn’t necessary.

So far he hasn’t seen any abusive behavior, but he said: “We want the folks in the marketplace to know that we’re watching.”

For retailers, Bernstein analysts say the economic boost is likely to be incremental. The market for the converter boxes is likely to be about $1.4 billion, and for new TVs about $1.7 billion, for a total of $3.1 billion — still a relatively tiny part of the $150 billion U.S. consumer electronics market.

The cost to broadcasters of new digital equipment also is relatively small. Tim Thorsteinson, president of the broadcast division of Harris Corp., a major manufacturer of broadcasting equipment, says it costs about $500,000 to upgrade a typical TV station.

The transition comes at a tough point for local TV stations, however, because they are seeing live viewership erode amid a proliferation of ways to watch video — over the Internet, on iPods and DVDs.

Mark Aitken, director of advanced technology at Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc., a major broadcaster based near Baltimore, calls using HDTV broadcasts the “low-hanging fruit” for TV stations to take advantage of. He points to another big possibility: sending live TV broadcasts to portable devices such as cell phones. Adapting the handsets would be simple technically; the far bigger issue is getting broadcasters, programmers, mobile device makers to agree on a standard.

Just next week, a preliminary field trial for three competing technologies for portable TV viewing is getting under way in San Francisco, Aitken said. The industry could have a candidate for the a new mobile TV standard in place by the third or fourth quarter of this year.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Business

Sound Sports Performance & Training owner Frederick Brooks inside his current location on Oct. 30, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lynnwood gym moves to the ground floor of Triton Court

Expansion doubles the space of Sound Sports and Training as owner Frederick Brooks looks to train more trainers.

Lily Lamoureux stacks Weebly Funko toys in preparation for Funko Friday at Funko Field in Everett on July 12, 2019.  Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Everett-based Funko: ‘Serious doubt’ it can continue without new owner or funding

The company made the statements during required filings to the SEC. Even so, its new CEO outlined his plan for a turnaround.

A runner jogs past construction in the Port of Everett’s Millwright District on Tuesday, July 15, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Port of Everett finalizes ‘conservative’ 2026 budget

Officials point to fallout from tariffs as a factor in budget decisions.

The Verdant Health Commission holds a meeting on Oct. 22, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Verdant Health Commission to increase funding

Community Health organizations and food banks are funded by Swedish hospital rent.

The entrance to EvergreenHealth Monroe on Monday, April 1, 2019 in Monroe, Wash. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
EvergreenHealth Monroe buys medical office building

The purchase is the first part of a hospital expansion.

The new T&T Supermarket set to open in November on Oct. 20, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
TT Supermarket sets Nov. 13 opening date in Lynnwood

The new store will be only the second in the U.S. for the Canadian-based supermarket and Asian grocery.

Judi Ramsey, owner of Artisans, inside her business on Sept. 22, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Artisans PNW allows public to buy works of 100 artists

Combo coffee, art gallery, bookshop aims to build business in Everett.

The Port of Everett’s new Director of Seaport Operations Tim Ryker on Oct. 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Port of Everett names new chief of seaport operations

Tim Ryker replaced longtime Chief Operating Officer Carl Wollebek, who retired.

The Lynnwood City Council listens to a presentation on the development plan for the Lynnwood Event Center during a city council meeting on Oct. 13, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lynnwood City Council approves development of ‘The District’

The initial vision calls for a downtown hub offering a mix of retail, events, restaurants and residential options.

Everly Finch, 7, looks inside an enclosure at the Reptile Zoo on Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Monroe’s Reptile Zoo to stay open

Roadside zoo owner reverses decision to close after attendance surge.

Trade group bus tour makes two stops in Everett

The tour aimed to highlight the contributions of Washington manufacturers.

Downtown Everett lumberyard closes after 75 years

Downtown Everett lumber yard to close after 75 years.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.