Snohomish, Island counties
Film noire: A Nazi hunter searches for the mastermind of the Holocaust who is in hiding in Connecticut with a secret identity in “The Stranger.” the 1946 film stars Edward G. Robinson, Loretta Young and Orson Welles; showing at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 1 at Historic Everett Theatre: 2911 Colby Ave., Everett; 425-258-6766; everetttheatre.org. Tickets are $5.
Focus on the Civil War: To mark the 150th anniversary of the war, a free film series will look at one film a month for six months. The goal is an understanding of the impact of the Civil War on society. A potluck starts at 6 p.m. The movie will begin at 7 p.m., followed by a discussion. Everett First Presbyterian Church, 2936 Rockefeller Ave., Everett.
Aug. 26: “Friendly Persuasion”(1956), William Wyler directed this movie about Quakers during the Civil War, starring Gary Cooper and Dorothy McGguire.
• Sept. 23: “Glory” (1989), Black soldiers fight for the Union. With Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Matthew Broderick.
• Oct. 28: “Ride With the Devil” (1999), Ang Lee looks at the fighting on the Kansas-Missouri border. Featuring Tobey Maguire.
• Nov. 18: “Andersonville” (1996), depicts the infamous prisoner-of-war camp.
• Dec. 16: “The Conspirator” (2010), Robert Redford directed this film about Mary Surrat, the only woman tried as part of the conspiracy to assassinate President Abraham Lincoln. With Robin Wright and James McAvoy.
Pacific Science Center’s Imax films: 200 Second Ave. N., Seattle; 206-443-2001; www.pacsci.org. Most tickets are $6 to $10.50. Shows run Aug. 5 through 11. Call ahead; some shows sell out. The Eames IMAX Theater is closed for renovations. It will re-open in the fall.
• “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2”: 4:45 and 7:30 p.m. daily.
• “Born to be Wild”: 10:30 and 11:45 a.m. and 1, 2:15 and 3:30 p.m. daily.
Movies are free. Bring your own blankets.
Camano Island Free Summer Outdoor Cinema: Fridays through Sept. 16. Gates open at 7:15 p.m. Movies start at dusk, 8:30 p.m. in the early summer and after 7:30 p.m. in September. Movies are 16 mm film. Southwest corner of East Camano Drive and Dallman Road, www.chumleigh.com or call 360 387-4579. Movies are shown in the “genteelly shabby” Medium Big Top circus tent in case of rain.
Movies Under the Moon: Lake Tye Park, 14964 Fryelands Blvd., Monroe. Free movies begin at 9 p.m. on Fridays. Call 360-863-4559 for more information.
• Aug. 26: “Tangled” (PG)