With spring blossoms bursting to life and the sun shining on the Cascades, is there a better time to explore the Pacific Northwest?
Of course, spring also means the return of one of the region’s favorite events – Leavenworth’s Bavarian Maifest, a beloved tradition celebrated with locals and visitors alike since 1971 – and a host of other events scheduled throughout the month.
Welcoming visitors May 13 to 15, Maifest features an array of entertainment. The festivities kick off on Friday with lively music in the gazebo, followed on Saturday with the Bavarian-inspired “Festzug,”or Grand March, the Enzian Schuhplattler Dancers, demonstrating the traditional Maipole dance, school marching bands, Bavarian music, horse gallantry, wagons and carriages.
With the townsfolk dressed in their Bavarian best throughout the weekend, additional highlights include Bavarian folk art displays, games and crafts for kids, and of course, a visit from the Bernese mountain dogs!
“It’s my absolute favorite event we host – it feels like it’s how we celebrate spring here, and it’s how they celebrate spring in Bavaria,” says Jessica Stoller, with the Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce.
So close to visit, yet a world way
Nestled in the heart of the Cascades between Seattle and Spokane, Washington’s Bavarian village is just over two hours’ drive from Seattle along the I-90 or US Highway 2 – the drive through the Cascades that’s been voted one of the most scenic in the U.S.
With the Bavarian-style buildings and pedestrian-oriented town with its sidewalk cafés – perfect for watching the weekend entertainment! – “it really feels very much like you’re in Europe. Maifest is the first weekend all the flowers are out, the weather is usually great and there’s still snow on the mountains – you really can’t experience it anywhere else in North America,” Stoller notes.
Beyond Maifest weekend, new events have also been added to the Leavenworth calendar every weekend in May. Other not-to-be-missed events include:
- May 6 to 8 – Mother’s Day Weekend-Live music, flowers and flower crowns for Mom and a Mother Day 5k walk/run
- May 20 to 22 – Live music and chainsaw carving demonstrations
- May 27 to 29 – Annual Alphorn Celebration and a Cider Sip
With authentic architecture and German experience wrapped in Northwest hospitality, come visit another world, right around the corner.
Plan your visit today at www.leavenworth.org.
Willkommen to Leavenworth!
Talk to us
- You can tell us about news and ask us about our journalism by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 425-339-3428.
- If you have an opinion you wish to share for publication, send a letter to the editor to email@example.com or by regular mail to The Daily Herald, Letters, P.O. Box 930, Everett, WA 98206.
- More contact information is here.