1 arrested, 1 at large in violent Everett car theft

The man had a $100,000 warrant out for his arrest when he was caught at the end of a stolen car chase.

EVERETT — A Seattle man bragged he punched an Everett man so many times it left his hand swollen, in a vehicle theft that led to a car chase hours later, according to reports filed in court Thursday.

That suspect has been arrested. A second suspect remained at large Thursday.

Both are believed to have gang ties.

The car owner reported early Wednesday that two men came to his home in the the 2400 block of 61st Street Southeast, to beat and rob him. They took his keys and forced him into his silver Audi A4, for reasons that are not clear in police reports. He managed to jump out of the car, escape and call for police around 1:50 a.m.

Hours later, Snohomish County sheriff’s deputies found the car on Alderwood Mall Parkway. Deputies pursued it to the 200 block of 128th Street SW, where law enforcement caused the Audi to crash, causing heavy damage to a patrol car.

A woman in the driver’s seat was detained. She reported to police that the passenger, 43, had shown off his right hand and bragged about how the swelling came from “punching the victim so many times.”

The Seattle man was arrested for investigation of first-degree robbery, second-degree kidnapping and theft of a motor vehicle. Court records show he has been convicted of felony drug possession eight times and twice attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle.

He was sentenced for possession of a controlled substance while on community custody in June. He’d been given an alternative sentence of two years on probation, under the condition that he undergo drug dependency treatment for three to six months.

“I relapsed,” he reportedly told a Department of Corrections evaluator, in a risk assessment for the sentence in June. “I’m 42 years old. I’m tired. I tried to quit myself and couldn’t do it. My kids are grown up. I don’t want to be running and gunning anymore. I want a normal life. I want a right mind. I want to know why I am still using.”

In October, a judge issued a $100,000 warrant for his arrest.

Police believe they know the identity of the second man.

Tips about his whereabouts can be directed to 425-257-8450, or 911.

Caleb Hutton: 425-339-3454; chutton@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @snocaleb.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Navy now plans to send 3 more ships to Everett

The destroyer USS John S. McCain is the latest with plans to move here within the next 13 months.

Police find, rescue Shoreline man trapped in Edmonds ravine

Someone heard cries for help near a forested hillside near Marina Beach. He was there two days.

One dead, three hospitalized after Highway 522 crash

An East Wenatchee woman died after a head-on collision Saturday night in Monroe.

Man suspected of child abuse in Hawaii arrested in Shoreline

He was wanted for investigation of seven counts of child sexual assault and abuse in Maui.

New grants aim to retrain aerospace workers

County program offers up to $250,000 per business to help workers acquire new skills.

Marysville man charged in stabbing, trapping of girlfriend

After allegedly keeping her in the car for hours as she bled, he dropped her off at the hospital.

Police: Lake Stevens political sign thief assaults witness

The suspect, 66, removed signs of two Black candidates, then attacked a man who confronted him, police said.

Humpback whale hit by Mukilteo ferry, Chip, is presumed dead

The whale, age 3, has not been seen since being struck Monday. His companion was later seen alone.

Most Read