2 years after it vanished, search for Malaysian 777 to end

The Washington Post

The search for the Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared more than two years ago with hundreds aboard will be suspended if the aircraft isn’t found in the shrinking current search area, officials announced Friday.

Ministers from the three countries leading the effort – Australia, Malaysia and China – met in Malaysia and agreed to suspend the hunt for the plane once the 46,000-square-mile area in the Indian Ocean has been searched. Less than 4,000 square miles remains to be scoured.

Resuming the search would only be considered if “credible new information” emerges to pinpoint the specific location of the aircraft, according to a joint statement from the ministers.

“The suspension does not mean the termination of the search,” the joint statement reads. “Ministers reiterated that the aspiration to locate MH370 has not been abandoned.”

Still, the announcement signals a likely end to the aviation mystery that began March 8, 2014, when Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared from radar as it traveled between Kuala Lumpur and Beijing. It is thought to have crashed in the Indian Ocean.

While ministers emphasized Friday that the search isn’t officially over, they acknowledged that “the likelihood of finding the aircraft is fading.”

Relatives of some of the 239 people aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 are skeptical that the search would ever resume and called for it to continue.

“We don’t want the suspension to be just a way to let everyone calm down and slowly forget about it,” Grace Subathirai Nathan, a Malaysian whose mother was on the flight, told The Associated Press. “We want them to be doing something in the interim to look for new information.”

Dai Shuqin is a Beijing resident who had five relatives on the plane and told The New York Times that “we’ve known this is coming, and I thought I was prepared, but I still feel very frustrated.”

“Suspend the search, to me, means end the search,” she told the Times. “There’s no difference. There was no convincing and solid evidence in the past 867 days, and that’s even with the search. So what can we hope for if they suspend the search now? Nothing, nothing at all. That’s it. This is it.”

“I will never agree with the decision to suspend the search,” Zhang Qian, whose wife was on the plane, told AP. “We will definitely gather to protest it and I have lost confidence in the Malaysian government.”

A day before Friday’s meeting, some relatives called on nations to provide more financial assistance for the search, which has thus far cost $135 million, Reuters reported.

Ten months after MH370 vanished, officials ruled the disappearance an accident, ruling out the possibility of survivors.

The first piece of confirmed Flight 370 wreckage to surface was a wing flap that washed up on La Reunion, an island off the coast of Madagascar, a year ago.

On Friday, Australian Transport Minister Darren Chester said debris will still be inspected, but “future searches must have a high level of success to justify raising hopes of loved ones,” AP reported.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Cars move across Edgewater Bridge toward Everett on Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2023, in Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edgewater Bridge redo linking Everett, Mukilteo delayed until mid-2024

The project, now with an estimated cost of $27 million, will detour West Mukilteo Boulevard foot and car traffic for a year.

Lynn Deeken, the Dean of Arts, Learning Resources & Pathways at EvCC, addresses a large gathering during the ribbon cutting ceremony of the new Cascade Learning Center on Thursday, Sept. 28, 2023, at Everett Community College in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
New EvCC learning resource center opens to students, public

Planners of the Everett Community College building hope it will encourage students to use on-campus tutoring resources.

Everett Police Chief Dan Templeman announces his retirement after 31 years of service at the Everett City Council meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett police chief to retire at the end of October

Chief Dan Templeman announced his retirement at Wednesday’s City Council meeting. He has been chief for nine years.

Boeing employees watch the KC-46 Pegasus delivery event  from the air stairs at Boeing on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019 in Everett, Wa. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Boeing’s iconic Everett factory tour to resume in October

After a three-year hiatus, tours of the Boeing Company’s enormous jet assembly plant are back at Paine Field.

A memorial for a 15-year-old shot and killed last week is set up at a bus stop along Harrison Road on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2023, in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Teen boy identified in fatal shooting at Everett bus stop

Bryan Tamayo-Franco, 15, was shot at a Hardeson Road bus stop earlier this month. Police arrested two suspects.

Car crashes into Everett apartment, displacing residents

No one was injured in the crash late Friday, according to Everett police.

Mike Bredstrand, who is trying to get back his job with Lake Stevens Public Works, stands in front of the department’s building on Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023, in Lake Stevens, Washington. Bredstrand believes his firing in July was an unwarranted act of revenge by the city. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Lake Stevens worker was fired after getting court order against boss

The city has reportedly spent nearly $60,000 on attorney and arbitration fees related to Mike Bredstrand, who wants his job back.

Chap Grubb, founder and CEO of second-hand outdoor gear store Rerouted, stands inside his new storefront on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023, in Gold Bar, Washington. Rerouted began as an entirely online shop that connected buyers and sellers of used gear.  (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Used outdoor gear shop Rerouted finds a niche in Gold Bar

Seeking to keep good outdoor gear out of landfills, an online reselling business has put down roots in Gold Bar.

Naval Station Everett. (Chuck Taylor / Herald file)
Everett man sentenced to 6 years for cyberstalking ex-wife

Christopher Crawford, 42, was found guilty of sending intimate photos of his ex-wife to adult websites and to colleagues in the Navy.

Most Read