MARYSVILLE — Two adults and a small dog escaped a garage fire Wednesday morning in Marysville.
Fire investigators believe an unattended candle started the fire in a garage attached to the house around 8 a.m. in the 8800 block of 45th Drive NE.
The residents saw the smoke and escaped unharmed, said Christie Veley, spokeswoman for the Marysville Fire District. About 24 firefighters from Marysville and Getchell battled the flames. Heat mangled the garage door, and smoke left damage throughout the two-story house.
In all, the loss was estimated at $40,000.
Candle-caused fires peak in the wintertime, Veley said.
“We remind everyone to keep candles on a sturdy and uncluttered surface, never leave candles burning, and keep candles at least 12 inches from anything else that can burn,” Veley said.