LYNNWOOD — A neighbor who saw smoke coming out of a window may have saved an entire family Thursday.
Crews responded to a fire at an apartment complex in the 6500 block of 208th Street SW about 9:30 a.m., Lynnwood Fire Department spokeswoman Cathy Rizzo said in a press release. A neighbor noticed smoke coming out of a window and called 911, she said.
Firefighters found that food was left cooking unattended and the stove had caught on fire, Rizzo said. The tenants, who are smokers, allegedly removed smoke detectors from the apartment. Investigators believe the entire family could have perished in the apartment if the neighbor hadn’t seen the smoke, Rizzo said.
All family members, including three children, evacuated safely. Damage was contained to the kitchen.
Rizzo said people should never remove a smoke detector from their home. The device can save lives, she said.