Arlington man’s death may be manslaughter case

ARLINGTON — Detectives are investigating the death of an Arlington man as a potential case of manslaughter.

John L. Oster, 57, died May 9, a day after he was reportedly punched by a co-worker.

The alleged assault took place in the Arlington area, according to court papers filed by Snohomish County sheriff’s Major Crimes detectives.

The two men, who worked for a local telecommunications company, were on their way back from a work site in Yakima, court papers show. The co-worker, 49, had quit his job, and wanted to take a company truck back to Snohomish County. Oster was told to go with him.

The co-worker stopped at a bank, and demanded that Oster give him the company debit card.

Oster refused. The co-worker reportedly punched him multiple times in the chest and stomach.

Oster went home and began feeling ill and having breathing problems, court records show. In the middle of the night, he collapsed, and his girlfriend called 911.

Oster was taken to Cascade Valley Hospital and later Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he died.

Oster was unable to speak with detectives before his death, but he did describe the assault to emergency crews and his girlfriend, police said.

Oster’s death also is being investigated by the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office. They are awaiting laboratory test results before making a medical determination about the circumstances of his death.

The sheriff’s investigation is awaiting those findings, spokeswoman Shari Ireton said Wednesday.

Detectives have interviewed the co-worker, court papers show. He reportedly admitted to elbowing Oster a few times while they were riding in the truck. He denied punching Oster in the stomach.

Emergency crews told police they saw bruising on Oster’s abdomen while he was being taken to the hospital.

Oster also had recent medical problems, including stomach pain, and was in “very poor health,” court papers show. He also had a lacerated liver.

The co-worker also reportedly told police that both he and Oster had been drinking that day.

Investigators believe there is “clear evidence” of fourth-degree assault, and potential evidence of second-degree manslaughter, court papers show.

A person can be found guilty of second-degree manslaughter when they cause a person’s death as a result of criminal negligence.

Rikki King: 425-339-3449;

More in Local News

No flashing lights planned for giant Port of Everett cranes

The Port sought public input on making them blue and adding lights or keeping them as they were.

Gun-ammunition bill is suffocated by GOP amendments

It’s Day 40 of 60 of the 2020 session of the Washington Legislature in Olympia.

Edmonds School District leaders plan for another school bond

It won’t be in April, but the district could float another bond proposal in August or November.

Meet the newest Daily Herald reporter, Rachel Riley

In this episode of “Herald Headlines,” Executive Editor Phil O’Connor interviews a new staffer.

Boeing asks that its big state tax break be suspended

The company hopes the move will resolve a trade dispute involving European rival Airbus.

Will Boy Scout bankruptcy sweep abuse cases under the rug?

38 scouting officials in Washington were known to be a danger to kids, including one in Everett.

South Lynnwood Park to get $2.5 million renovation

A new soccer field, covered picnic area and accessibility upgrades are among the improvements.

3 choices: How Swift, light rail should hook up in Shoreline

Do you prefer the 185th street corridor, the Aurora Transit Center or decongestion?

The dawn of aviation in Snohomish County

An 1928 event celebrated the opening of the county’s first airport, between Everett and Marysville.

Most Read