Blaze near Maltby likely caused by cooking appliance

A house fire between Monroe and Duvall on Thursday apparently started in a cooking appliance. (Snohomish County Fire District 7)

Herald staff

MALTBY — A kitchen fire spread to the roof of a home between Maltby and Duvall Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters arrived to a burning house along 236th Place SE. Thick smoke was rising from the roof.

The family was not home at the time. Neighbors rescued the family’s dog from the home before firefighters arrived around 1 p.m., Fire District 7 spokeswoman Heather Chadwick said.

A cooking appliance started the fire, according to the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office.

There was $75,000 in damage.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Care homes face gear shortage, ill staff and the unknown

More than 100 COVID-19 cases have been linked to long-term care facilities in Snohomish County.

Swedish nurses and caregivers voting virtually on new deal

New deal includes 13.5% raises over three years, $1,000 ratification bonus and benefits protections.

Employee at Amazon distribution center positive for COVID-19

Those who have been in close contact will be paid while they self-quarantine at their homes.

Monroe School District superintendent stepping down early

Fredrika Smith was supposed to serve until July. Her immediate resignation was announced Thursday.

Final farewells continue, but few are allowed to say goodbye

Rules for funerals limit attendees to immediate family. In Darrington, a memorial tradition is on hold.

Man found dead on Highway 529; possible hit and run

Everett detectives were investigating the scene Saturday. The man is believed to be from Marysville.

Man shot in neighborly dispute north of Lynnwood

The man was transported to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries. A suspect was arrested.

Transit agencies around Puget Sound to receive over $500

The region will get about $538 million, to be distributed to Metro, Sound Transit and others.

Boeing extends temporary shutdown of Puget Sound plants

The company had planned to reopen on Wednesday. About 60 Everett employees have tested positive.

Most Read