Boat abandoned at Mukilteo’s Lighthouse Park to be moved

Update, 11:25 a.m. Wednesday: The boat was not moved Wednesday morning, according to Mukilteo Mayor Jennifer Gregson. Plans now call for the boat to be towed to the Port of Edmonds (not the Port of Everett) on Thursday morning.

——————————-

MUKILTEO — A 25-foot sailboat abandoned at the boat launch at Lighthouse Park is scheduled to be towed away early Wednesday morning.

The plan called for the boat to be moved at high tide, 2:43 a.m. and towed by a diving and salvage company to the Port of Everett, Mayor Jennifer Gregerson said.

It will be stored for 30 days and then disposed of by sale, transfer of ownership or salvage, she said.

The boat has been attracting crowds since last week. It was tied up at the end of boat launch April 20, came loose the following day and ended up on the beach, she said. “We’re pretty sure the owner was just not real interested in dealing with the boat any more,” Gregerson said.

The Port of Everett has had a history with the boat, and with its owner, dating back to 2010, said spokeswoman Lisa Lefeber. The problems include suspected and possible theft of boating-related items, providing alcohol to and inappropriate contact with a minor, and an unauthorized person living aboard the boat, she said.

Other problems occurred in 2014 and 2015, she said, including failure to pay for using marina space, failure to register the boat, suspicious drug activity and causing a nuisance, she said.

“He hasn’t been a permanent tenant in the marina,” Lefeber said. “It’s more of a guest moorage visitor.”

On April 18, the port told the owner that the boat would not be allowed on port property. The following Monday, the port’s security reported that the vessel had been untied and was drifting south down the Snohomish River channel, she said.

Meanwhile, in Mukilteo the abandoned boat has become a tourist attraction. “It is funny to go down there,” Gregerson said. “There are always at least 10 people milling around and taking pictures of it.”

People have called 911 to report the abandoned boat and some people called interested in taking the boat off the city’s hands. But they backed away after being told to give the state’s Department of Natural Resources a call, which takes responsibility for abandoned boats. “There’s definitely a ton of curiosity about it,” Gregerson said.

The city decided to act quickly on getting it moved, in part because Saturday is opening day of boating season. “Our public works director was definitely worried about the boat launch,” she said. “We know a lot of people will want to come out and use the boat launch. Having that boat in the launch is something we want to avoid.”

The boat is registered to an Everett man, but police found no one living at the address they had for him, Gregerson said.

The cost of pulling the boat off the beach, towing it to the Port of Everett and storage is estimated at $5,240, plus staff time, Gregerson said. The Department of Natural Resources is expected to pay 90 percent of the costs. The state agency has disposed of more than 500 abandoned boats since 2006. That includes seven boats that the agency’s Derelict Vessel Removal Program salvaged from waterways in the Everett area last fall.

Sharon Salyer: 425-339-3486 or salyer@heraldnet.com

Talk to us

More in Local News

Judge approves 2nd recall effort against Sheriff Fortney

Both recall efforts are gearing up to collect 45,000 signatures to get on the ballot in Snohomish County.

Young firefighter remembered for drive, smile, compassion

Marcus Carroll, 23, was a Snohomish County firefighter. His body was found Monday after a hiking trip.

Police: Former nurse threatens Muslim neighbors at gunpoint

The Mountlake Terrace woman was accused of a hate crime against a mother and two daughters.

Protests continue as Inslee backs review of police actions

Governor says armed citizens in front of stores, like in Snohomish, makes a volatile situation worse

Neighbors oppose Everett’s possible sale of 92.5 wooded acres

The city has owned the land around Wood Creek, which was once its water supply, for decades.

Six counties have applied to move to Phase 3 of reopening

They are among the 27 counties that are in Phase 2. Twelve counties, including Snohomish, are still in Phase 1.

Snohomish County submits application for Phase Two clearance

Officials expect the state will decide “fairly quickly” whether the county is able to proceed.

Monroe School Board member resigns amid public backlash

Jerry Martin stepped down after a video, showing his daughter defending her use of the N-word, went viral.

Service down and limited, Compass Health to close 3 sites

Some employees are on furlough or will transfer to Everett locations, and seven are set for layoffs.

Most Read