EVERETT — A boiler exploded at Silver Lake Elementary Thursday, shattering windows and cutting off heat to part of the school.
Three maintenance workers in the boiler room escaped without serious injury, said Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes. The explosion occurred at 1:09 p.m. at the school at 12815 Bothell-Everett Highway and was heard by residents as far as three blocks away, Hynes said.
Everett School District spokeswoman Gay Campbell said the workers were attempting to repair the gas-fueled boiler when it exploded. The boiler provides heat and hot water to part of the school, Campbell said.
Windows broke and a chimney cracked, but no students were hurt, Campbell said.
"The room is pretty well demolished," Campbell said.
Students were evacuated after the explosion, but returned to class a short time later.
The school will be closed today but will reopen Monday. Meals will be shipped in, and temporary heat sources will be used, Campbell said.
Talk to us
- You can tell us about news and ask us about our journalism by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 425-339-3428.
- If you have an opinion you wish to share for publication, send a letter to the editor to email@example.com or by regular mail to The Daily Herald, Letters, P.O. Box 930, Everett, WA 98206.
- More contact information is here.