Bones in chimney are key to mystery

LOS ANGELES – Inside the chill of the county coroner’s office, the detective and the forensic anthropologist stood over soot-covered bones arrayed on a metal table.

Over two hours, Dr. Elizabeth Miller provided a running dialogue for each bone. She picked up one rib after another, studying them for knife scrapes.

The bones were those of a boy, perhaps 12 to 15 years old, found in the chimney of an abandoned building in south Los Angeles. The boy wore faded and stained tan jeans and a white shirt, but no shoes.

“I’m sure if we had a photograph, we’d be able to recognize him,” Miller said.

More than once, Los Angeles police detective Chris Barling asked: Was he killed?

There was no sign of trauma, Miller said. No self-defense wounds on the finger bones, no scrapes or damage to other bones. The jaw suggested major dental work to repair an injury, but that was it.

That was March 28, 2005, and the homicide detective and the anthropologist had hunches, nothing more.

Miller said she thought the boy sneaked into the chimney and died either of starvation or positional asphyxiation. Perhaps the clay pipe of the chimney muted his calls for help. Maybe the same pipe carried the smell of decay up and out. The remains still gave out a waxy, organic odor, which led Miller to believe that he probably had been dead fewer than five years. The boy’s two front teeth protruded, and his skull had strong features indicating he was black.

“I tend to go with weird accidents more,” she said. “I prefer to think weird things happen as opposed to somebody killing and dumping a boy into a chimney.”

Barling felt differently.

“Maybe I’m just morbid,” he said. “I just had a hunch that it didn’t make sense it was accidental. … My gut is that we’re dealing with a murder.”

Identity a mystery

The discovery of the remains at 89th and Main streets in South Los Angeles had been a fluke. On March 24, 2005, an 11-year-old girl had climbed on the roof of the abandoned halfway house to retrieve a soccer ball. She had peered into the chimney, then run to her father and told him she had seen a skull.

In the following days, stories about the discovery ran in local newspapers and on the TV news. They focused on Miller’s theory: The boy was probably a runaway, there a few years.

No one came forward to identify the remains. No grieving parents called or showed up to dare to ask: Could this be my child?

Barling started pulling missing persons reports going back about five years, but came up empty.

That July, forensic artist Marilyn Droz used the boy’s skull to draw a composite portrait. By then, nearly four months had gone by.

The sketch prompted another flurry of news reports.

Donna Theus was sitting in her living room watching the TV news when she saw the drawing. She screamed. The boy, Theus said, looked like her cousin. She picked up the phone.

On the other line, 78-year-old Clelia Thompson answered.

“Babe, did you see that little boy’s picture on the TV?” Theus asked her aunt. “The little boy they found in the chimney? You know, that could be Robert.”

Her boy, Robert Thompson, 14, had been missing since Christmas Eve.

Of 1977.

The investigators could not believe the body had been in the chimney 28 years. The building for years had served as a halfway house, and had closed only a few years ago. How could a corpse be there for so long without anyone noticing?

Still, the Los Angeles Police Department’s missing persons unit sent someone to take a DNA swab from Clelia Thompson’s mouth.

Miller, the Los Angeles County coroner’s anthropologist, began to rethink the circumstances that would have preserved the bones for so long, yet let them retain the smell of decomposition.

The bones showed signs of superficial charring, suggesting the chimney had been used just enough to stain the remains. This might have helped preserve them.

Months passed. Then, on Dec. 28, 2005, a lab in Sacramento came back with the results of the DNA test. The boy in the chimney was Robert Thompson.

Digging into the past

Barling now had a name, and identities tell stories.

His mind raced with questions. Who was last with this boy? Was he trying to burglarize the building, which was only blocks from his home, or playing a game of hide-and-seek? Could he have been trying to recover a ball, much like the little girl who had found his remains?

Barling drew up a basic profile of the boy in the chimney.

Loved ones described Robert Thompson as sweet-tempered but occasionally mischievous. He liked to run barefoot around the house. He especially enjoyed playing with his other two young brothers, Clinton and Smith. Although Robert was the third youngest of Clelia Thompson’s children, in many ways he demanded the most attention.

Robert was 14, but social workers had determined his IQ to be that of a 6-year-old.

From at least age 4, according to hospital records, Robert suffered from grand mal seizures. If he did not take his medication, he could have as many as three a day. In 1974, a seizure caused him to black out and fall into a swimming pool. He almost drowned before a sister pulled him out.

One year later, Robert fell on his face after suffering another seizure and required dental surgery. It was this work that anthropologist Miller would observe nearly three decades later.

Barling remained doubtful that Robert had died accidentally. As he delved into the boy’s family history, he found tales of trauma, tragedy and bad luck that were excessive even by the standards of a tough South Los Angeles neighborhood.

Barling sat down with the boy’s mother at her cramped home in the back of a duplex. It was clear to him that Clelia Thompson had harbored a dark conviction for decades about what had happened to her son. She was certain he had not run away, that someone had taken and killed him.

“You don’t want to ever face none of your children are dead,” Thompson said in an interview. “But it’s worse when they’re just gone. You can’t even face it.”

Thompson’s recollection of exact dates is fuzzy, she admits. She keeps death certificates stored away in a trunk. All seven, for all the children she lost.

She lost one daughter when the girl was only a baby. Then she lost six of her nine remaining children. Only one, Shirley, died of natural causes.

Rose, 30, and Benny, 34, were stabbed to death by former partners. Clinton, 20, and Smith, 19, the two youngest, each committed suicide.

“It was one right after another. Every year there was a death,” Thompson said. “But it began with Robert.”

It was a rainy Christmas Eve. The whole family had gathered at home for the holiday – along with an outsider.

His name was Theodore Van Smith. Theodoric, as he was often called, was the former boyfriend of Robert’s sister, Rose Ann. They’d had a boy together, but the relationship had soured.

Theodoric Smith was not especially welcome. But he had a way with the youngest children, Thompson said. He would offer them hamburgers and drinks, and sometimes take them away for short spells.

Some family members said they’d always heard that Robert stormed off in a fit of anger because he thought he wasn’t getting a bicycle for Christmas.

Clelia Thompson said that wasn’t right.

Robert disappeared in the morning, and the family assumed he would return. By the afternoon, they had started searching the neighborhood. They even searched the building where Robert’s remains would be found 28 years later. It didn’t occur to them to look in the chimney. The LAPD searched an extensive area door to door. TV newscasts aired reports about the missing boy.

Almost unnoticed that day, Thompson said, was that after Robert disappeared, so did Theodoric. He was not seen the rest of the day.

“But nobody hardly noticed because everybody was concerned for Robert,” Clelia Thompson said.

‘He killed Robert’

Barling reviewed the LAPD’s old missing persons case on Robert. It showed that for the first eight years after his disappearance, the trail was cold.

But that changed on Feb. 23, 1985.

In the darkness of the early morning, Clelia Thompson walked briskly down a hallway of Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center. Before she got to his room, she could hear screams from her youngest child.

“All I could hear was my child hollering, ‘Momma, Theodoric killed Robert! Momma, Theodoric killed Robert! He told me he killed Robert!’ “

Lying on the bed was the bloody form of 12-year-old Smith Thompson. Tire marks streaked across his chest and his forehead.

According to police, Theodoric Smith had driven Smith Thompson to a dark alley and raped him in the car. A subsequent police report quoted Smith as saying Theodoric had told him: “If you don’t make me feel good, I am going to kill you just like I killed your brother Robert.”

Theodoric eventually threw the boy out of the car and ran over him. Two months later, Theodoric Smith pleaded guilty to five felony counts, including the rape of a child and attempted murder. He was sentenced to 30 years in state prison.

Before he was convicted, LAPD detective Ramiro Argamaniz asked him about Robert’s disappearance.

“Suspect did not cop out to the crime, but he did hint at possibility of his involvement and he did mention his back yard,” Argamaniz wrote in a report.

Police dug up the back yard of Theodoric Smith’s parents’ home but found only dog remains. The case of Robert Thompson remained cold until 1997, when detective Debra Kane, serving a stint in the department’s missing persons unit, took an interest.

She, like Barling, felt in her gut that she was dealing with a homicide case.

“Even juvenile runaways turn up eventually. They make phone calls home,” Kane said, explaining her suspicions. “Somewhere, someone has seen this person or that person.”

“This kid,” Kane said, “just disappeared.”

Kane asked Dr. Kris Mohandie, then head of the LAPD’s behavioral science unit, if he could go to Calipatria State Prison, about 150 miles east of San Diego, to interview Theodoric Smith.

“What we really wanted to know,” Kane said, “is where the bones were buried.”

Aided by a prison psychiatrist, Mohandie interviewed Theodoric Smith for several hours. Mohandie reported that Smith was manipulative and obsessed with “sexual matters, body parts and missing body parts.”

“The inmate clearly fits the profile of a sexual predator whose preferential target is minor males,” Mohandie wrote. He and the prison psychiatrist concluded Smith “would be capable of the probable murder and disappearance of Robert Thompson.”

But they didn’t get a confession.

Barling found himself in the same place where Kane had left off nine years earlier, no closer to proving Robert Thompson had been murdered.

Theodoric Smith was paroled from prison in 2000, but shortly after that was committed to the Atascadero State Hospital in Central California.

In a phone interview with the Los Angeles Times from the hospital, Smith, now 47, said he remembered Robert going missing but denied he had any involvement.

“No, I had nothing to do with it, sir,” he said. “If they had anything on me, I’m pretty sure they would come and read me my Miranda rights.”

On Feb. 8, Clelia Thompson finally laid her son Robert to rest. She could not afford to bury his remains, so she had them cremated. The family had a small ceremony at the House of Winston Mortuary.

Clelia Thompson calls the funeral of her boy “the day of the closure.”

“You have to deal with what you have to deal with, ain’t no other way,” she said. “And I just try to put it behind me. I did put it behind me, for a little while.”

Talk to us

More in Local News

An example of the Malicious Women Co. products (left) vs. the Malicious Mermaid's products (right). (U.S. District Court in Florida)
Judge: Cheeky candle copycat must pay Snohomish company over $800K

The owner of the Malicious Women Co. doesn’t expect to receive any money from the Malicious Mermaid, a Florida-based copycat.

A grave marker for Blaze the horse. (Photo provided)
After Darrington woman’s horse died, she didn’t know what to do

Sidney Montooth boarded her horse Blaze. When he died, she was “a wreck” — and at a loss as to what to do with his remains.

A fatal accident the afternoon of Dec. 18 near Clinton ended with one of the cars involved bursting into flames. The driver of the fully engulfed car was outside of the vehicle by the time first responders arrived at the scene. (Whidbey News-Times/Submitted photo)
Driver sentenced in 2021 crash that killed Everett couple

Danielle Cruz, formerly of Lynnwood, gets 17½ years in prison. She was impaired by drugs when she caused the crash that killed Sharon Gamble and Kenneth Weikle.

A person walks out of the Everett Clinic on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Everett Clinic changing name to parent company Optum in 2024

The parent company says the name change will not affect quality of care for patients in Snohomish County.

Tirhas Tesfatsion (GoFundMe) 20210727
Lynnwood settles for $1.7 million after 2021 suicide at city jail

Jail staff reportedly committed 16 safety check violations before they found Tirhas Tesfatsion, 47, unresponsive in her cell.

Nursing Administration Supervisor Susan Williams points at a list of current COVID patients at Providence Regional Medical Center on Friday, Sept. 22, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Dozens of Providence patients in medical limbo for months, even years

About 100 people are stuck in Everett hospital beds without an urgent medical reason. New laws aim for a solution.

Lynnwood man arrested, released on $25K bond after road rage shooting

Deputies arrested the suspect, 20, for investigation of first-degree assault on Tuesday.

Mt. Baker visible from the summit of Mt. Dickerman on a late summer day in 2017. (Caleb Hutton / The Herald)
Hornets pester hikers on popular Mountain Loop trails

“You cannot out run the stings,” one hiker wrote in a trip report. The Forest Service has posted alerts at two trailheads.

Emergency responders surround an ultralight airplane that crashed Friday, Sept. 22, 2023, at the Arlington Municipal Airport in Arlington, Washington, resulting in the pilot's death. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Pilot dead in ultralight plane crash at Arlington Municipal Airport

There were no other injuries or fatalities reported, a city spokesperson said.

Most Read