Case dismissed against man who made bomb threat

Since his arrest, he’s connected with a mental health treatment program and the results are promising.

EVERETT — A felony case has been dismissed against a Brier man who created a Nov. 7 traffic jam on Highway 9 by crashing head-on into a truck and claiming there was a bomb in his car.

The man, 27, lives with mental illness. Since his arrest in November, he’s connected with a treatment program and the results are promising.

The man was charged with threats to bomb or injure, a felony. On Feb. 5, Snohomish County Superior Court Judge Joseph Wilson signed an order, dismissing the charge without prejudice.

That means the charge could be revived should the situation change or the man fail to continue treatment, deputy prosecutor Julie Mohr said.

Witnesses said the man rammed into a truck that had been waiting at a light at 164th Street SE along the highway near Clearview. He reportedly jumped out and told bystanders there was a bomb in his vehicle and that it would explode if he stopped driving at least 50 mph.

The bomb claim led to the highway being closed at the height of the evening commute. A bomb squad was called. No explosives were found.

At one point in the case, the man’s attorney filed a motion urging the case to be dismissed on the grounds that no credible bomb threat existed, and that the defendant appeared to have appropriated part of the plot from the 1994 movie “Speed.”

The man told authorities that he had stopped taking his medications in the days before the incident. His case was slowed while efforts were made to restore his mental health sufficiently so he could assist in his defense, court papers show.

Scott North: 425-339-3431; north@herald net.com. Twitter: @snorthnews.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Soper Hill roundabout and pedestrian trail work wraps up

Lake Stevens and Marysville worked together on the traffic infrastructure because of nearby development.

Rep. Larsen tours small businesses given federal PPP loans

The congressman said leaders in Washington D.C. continue to negotiate for further COVID-19 relief.

Deputies: ‘Abnormal strength’ led to forceful arrest in 2018

Newly released reports give Snohomish County deputies’ side in a case that’s now central to a lawsuit.

Oak Harbor Public Schools decide on plan for fall opening

Conditions which must be met for a combination of in-person education and distance learning.

Police dog nabs, nips man suspected of burgling smoke shops

Monroe police arrested a man after two smoke shops were broken into Monday morning.

Local families praise state’s online early education program

The Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program found creative ways to reach kids during COVID.

Some waited months for jobless benefits, and some wait still

Not all 81,000 cases are resolved, but some people finally received thousands of dollars in back payments.

New help during COVID: Counselors reach out with resources

Funded by the CARES Act, 10 community social workers are deployed across Snohomish County.

Latest COVID spike may have peaked in July, data shows

New numbers are a positive step forward, but some metrics are headed in the wrong direction.

Most Read