EDMONDS – A hazardous materials crew was unable to explain why two people were sick after looking inside a vehicle they said was broken into overnight.
The man and woman were taken to Stevens Hospital in Edmonds on Thursday morning after the woman reported blisters in her mouth and skin irritation, according to emergency dispatchers.
Their injuries were not thought to be life-threatening, Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
The man and woman told firefighters about 8:40 a.m. they were experiencing strange symptoms after they looked through a car in the 5000 block of 157th Street SW. The car was parked inside a garage attached to a house. They told emergency dispatchers the vehicle had been broken into and ransacked.
“They were reporting medical symptoms consistent with exposure to chemicals,” Hynes said.
Hynes wouldn’t elaborate on the symptoms, citing a federal privacy law.
The two reportedly showered inside the home before firefighters arrived. They later were taken to the hospital.
The hazardous materials crew cordoned off about a block, donned protective gear and inspected the house and car.
They checked the air quality and looked for burn marks inside the house. They didn’t find anything, Hynes said.
“It could have dissipated or it could have been caused by something other than chemicals,” she said.
Reporter Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463 or email@example.com.