EDMONDS — A chimney fire at an Edmonds duplex caused more than $30,000 damage Tuesday night and left a couple living there looking for a new home.
The fire was reported around 6:30 p.m. at a duplex in the 21100 block of Shell Valley Road.
A woman was home at the time of the fire and got out safely. Smoke was coming from the eaves on all side of the three-story duplex when the first fire engine arrived, said Leslie Hynes, a spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency services in Edmonds.
Firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood and Shoreline had the fire under control within 15 minutes of their arrival. No one was injured.
“Most of the fire was in the chimney chase,” Hynes said. “Firefighters cut into the walls on the second and third floor to get to the fire and cut a hole in the roof for ventilation.”
The other unit in the duplex was not damaged.
An investigator determined the fire was accidental and started inside the chimney. The couple had been using the fireplace to heat the duplex.
Damage left the unit uninhabitable. The couple was renting and did not have insurance. Support 7 provided assistance.