MUKILTEO — A dog died and four adults were displaced in an apartment complex fire early Monday morning, according to the Mukilteo Fire Department.
No humans were injured. Those who lost their homes received help from the Red Cross and the South County Fire chaplain, according to a news release.
Total damage was an estimated $850,000, Mukilteo Fire Marshal Glen K. Albright said in an email.
The fire started in a first-floor unit and traveled up the outside of the building to the eaves and the attic, the fire department said. Three apartments had substantial fire damage and four others had minor smoke damage.
“Firefighters aggressively fought the fire and had the main body of the fire knocked down within 30 minutes of the first 911 call,” the news release said.
It is believed the blaze started due to “improper disposal of smoking material,” and it has been classified as accidental fire, the department said.