VANCOUVER, Wash. — Fire investigators say a dog inadvertently turned on a stove and started a fire that destroyed a house in Vancouver early Saturday.
Capt. David James told The Columbian newspaper that investigators believe the dog jumped up looking for food on the stove and turned the stove on, causing items on the stove to catch fire.
Firefighters arrived just before 1 a.m. to find heavy smoke and fire coming from the one-story home. James said the blaze damaged most of the house and its contents. The dog did not survive.
James said the renter had left the dog alone in the house for the first time.
Talk to us
- You can tell us about news and ask us about our journalism by emailing email@example.com or by calling 425-339-3428.
- If you have an opinion you wish to share for publication, send a letter to the editor to firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail to The Daily Herald, Letters, P.O. Box 930, Everett, WA 98206.
- More contact information is here.