Lyon “Nick” Torns enters the courtroom for his sentencing Wednesday at Snohomish County Superior Court in Everett. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)

Lyon “Nick” Torns enters the courtroom for his sentencing Wednesday at Snohomish County Superior Court in Everett. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)

Everett man gets 19 years in fatal Marysville shooting

Lyon “Nick” Torns sold fentanyl to Jason Castle, 42. In November 2020, Torns shot and killed him, then fled to Las Vegas.

EVERETT — An Everett man was sentenced Wednesday to more than 19 years in prison for a fatal Marysville shooting in 2020.

Earlier this month, Lyon “Nick” Torns, 37, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the drug-deal-turned-homicide that left Jason Castle, 42, of Marysville, dead.

The getaway driver, James Burton Flowers, 32, pleaded guilty to first-degree rendering criminal assistance. Last week, he was sentenced to 2⅛ years in prison.

Under state sentencing guidelines, Torns faced between 15¼ and 23⅓ years in prison. Prosecutors and Torns’ defense attorney agreed on a sentence in the middle of that range: just over 19¼ years.

Superior Court Judge Janice Ellis approved the request.

The victim’s wife, Kathryn Castle, told the judge her husband was “not perfect, but he was very well loved by a lot of people.”

“And now his children have to grow up without a dad,” she said. “I have to grow old without my partner, my best friend. It has impacted our lives so much that nobody could understand.”

Torns had been Jason Castle’s fentanyl dealer, according to court documents. Jason Castle had been injured at work and turned to drugs to help with the pain, Kathryn Castle said.

The night of Nov. 7, 2020, Jason Castle and his wife had gone to a casino for a couple hours before falling asleep. Early the next morning, he told his wife he was going to meet Torns.

Security footage reportedly showed Jason Castle arrived in his Volkswagen Touareg; Torns in a Nissan Altima.

At 2:50 a.m., Jason Castle called his wife. She was half-asleep but remembered him saying he had a bad feeling when he met with Torns, Kathryn Castle told police. If she didn’t hear from him within 10 minutes, he told her to come to the Shell station in the 3500 block of 88th Street NE in Marysville. At 2:54 a.m., he texted her to come to the Haggen grocery store down the street from the gas station.

At 2:59 a.m., Jason Castle called Torns for 32 seconds.

Ten minutes later, gunshots were reported. Two minutes after the shots, Torns got back in the Altima, driven by Flowers.

Marysville police checked the area, but didn’t find anything.

After likely being dropped off nearby, Flowers got back to an Everett hotel at 3:33 a.m., where he was staying with his girlfriend, surveillance video showed. The Altima returned to the area near the shooting about 10 minutes later.

Around the same time, Kathryn Castle found her husband’s Touareg parked and running at the Shell station, according to charging documents. No one was inside.

She then reported seeing Torns climb out of nearby bushes. He got in the driver’s seat of the Touareg. Kathryn Castle stepped in front of the car. In security video, she’s heard yelling, “Where’s my husband?” Torns drove anyway and the wife got out of the way.

Lyon “Nick” Torns (Marysville Police Department)

Lyon “Nick” Torns (Marysville Police Department)

Kathryn Castle got in her own car and followed Torns to the Holiday Inn Express parking lot, where he got out of the Touareg and into a black sedan, according to court papers. She tried to block the exit to the parking lot, but Torns drove over the curb to get out. She followed him onto I-5 but decided to return to the scene and call 911.

Police then found Jason Castle in the bushes, the same ones his wife had seen Torns emerge from. He didn’t have his wallet and his pants pockets were turned out. He died of gunshot wounds to the chin, shoulder and chest. Officers found six 9 mm bullet casings near Jason Castle’s body.

Flowers was arrested at a Mountlake Terrace motel.

Days after the shooting, Torns was charged with second-degree murder. On Nov. 16, he turned himself in to Las Vegas police. A couple months later, the allegation was upgraded to first-degree murder. But this month Torns pleaded guilty to the original charge.

Flowers, of Everett, was initially charged with first-degree murder. But his plea was for a lesser charge.

Kathryn Castle said her family is now afraid to go outside when it’s dark. They’re constantly looking over their shoulders.

“It’s not a life to ever live,” she said.

At sentencing Wednesday, Torns apologized to the Castle family for what he did.

“If I could go back and do things differently, I would,” he said. “But, unfortunately, I can’t. All I can do is stand up and take responsibility for what I’ve done and try to save this family whatever grievance I can by pleading guilty and accepting my punishment.”

Judge Ellis argued that remorse isn’t enough. Jason Castle’s two sons will grow up without their father, she noted. One doesn’t want to play football anymore because the father and son used to do that together. He won’t go to school anymore, either. The two boys cried throughout the hearing.

“I hope that they are able to build something good and true for themselves,” she said, “and not be hampered by what you have caused.

Jake Goldstein-Street: 425-339-3439;; Twitter: @GoldsteinStreet.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Man shot at Everett apartment

The man in his 30s was shot Sunday night. No arrests had been made.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Lake Stevens in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Motorcyclist identified in fatal crash near Lake Stevens

Anthony Palko, 33, died Monday night after colliding with a passenger car. The juveniles in the car were taken to the hospital.

Police: Marysville man shot sword-wielding roommate in self-defense

The roommates were arguing over eBay sales, according to police. Then one of them allegedly brandished a two-foot sword.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Lake Stevens in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Everett boy, 12, identified as Davies Beach drowning victim

Malachi Bell was one of three swimmers in distress Sunday in Lake Stevens. He did not survive.

Port of Everett hosting annual open house after pandemic hiatus

Also, Rustic Cork Wine Bar plans to open a second shop at Fisherman’s Harbor — the latest addition to the port’s “wine walk.”

Arlington Public Works employees use The Big Sidewalk Sucker to lift a concrete panel from the sidewalk. The device saves the city some money and time to level ground below the concrete. (Arlington Public Works)
This thing sucks and helps repair sidewalks in Arlington

Public works crews can remove heavy concrete panels from sidewalks, so the ground underneath can be restored.

New LGI Homes on Thursday, May 12, 2022 in Sultan, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Red-hot housing market cools, a bit, in Snohomish County

The amount of housing inventory is rising. Demand is slowing. Higher mortgage rates are a cause.

John McKeon stands in front of a mobile headquarters vehicle while discussing the funding needs of Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue on Wednesday, June 22, 2022, at the search and rescue headquarters in Snohomish, Washington. McKeon said a priority for the group is to find money for new covered parking for a number of vehicles that do not have a garage to be parked in. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue wants rescuing

They’re asking for nearly $1 million in federal recovery dollars, but funding has been hard to come by.

Mike Kersey with Aiya Moore, daughter of Christina Anderson, right, talk about the condition of Nick’s Place in Everett, Washington on June 17, 2022.  (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
‘We’re all good people when we get clean and sober’

Who has fentanyl taken from us? A messenger who saved lives. A “street mom.” A grandpa who loved his grandkids “999 trillion times.”

Most Read