EVERETT — Fire destroyed a family’s home here Sunday while they were away at church. A neighbor managed to save their dog.
Crews rushed to the 8600 block of Lowell Larimer Road, just outside the Everett city limits, at 12:25 p.m. after a neighbor called 911, said Battalion Chief Bill Scherer from Snohomish County Fire District 4. By the time firefighters arrived, the roof was engulfed in flames. It later collapsed.
Jim Wilde, who lives next door, said he started banging on the door after noticing flames coming from the home’s roof line and back porch. When no one answered, he forced his way inside to make sure no one was home. He also rescued the family dog.
Ginger, a Pomeranian-shih tzu mix, was back with the family that afternoon as fire officials investigated.
Charles Denton said he was finishing services at Destiny Life Church in downtown Everett when he got a call that his house was on fire. Denton and his wife, Angela, are pastors at the church, which meets at The Historic Everett Theatre.