Something in the garage of a house in Sultan exploded early Tuesday, blowing off the garage door and setting the house on fire.
The two occupants got out safely, but the house, in the 900 block of Elm Street, was destroyed, said Ed Hardesty, an assistant fire marshal for Snohomish County.
The fire, which occurred about 2:35 a.m., caused about $200,000 in damage.
“A noise woke me up, and I saw this orange light that kept getting brighter,” neighbor Gabe Karvonen said. “Then I heard a second explosion, and I could see the flames right outside.”
Hardesty said he didn’t know what caused the fire, but he said vapors from a cleaning solvent may have ignited.