BRIER – A smoke alarm gave two adults and four children enough time to escape from a house fire Monday, firefighters said.
The couple, their two children and a visiting niece and nephew were asleep on the top floor of the home when the alarm awoke them, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
“The smoke alarm most likely saved their lives. The fire spread quickly. If they had stayed in the house much longer, we would have been looking at a much more tragic outcome,” Hynes said.
The homeowners reported the fire at 6:27 a.m. in the 20600 block of 24th Avenue W., just north of Brier.
“When the first engine arrived from our Hilltop fire station flames were coming out the front door,” Hynes said.
Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood responded. No one was hurt.
The basement sustained heavy fire damage, and there was smoke damage throughout the home, leaving it uninhabitable.
Damage was estimated at more than $95,000. The homeowners have insurance and relatives to stay with in the area, officials said.
The fire apparently started in the wiring in the ceiling above the furnace in the home’s basement, Snohomish County deputy fire marshal Bruce Pulver said.
“In this case, the smoke alarm did exactly what it was supposed to do – provide an early warning so the family could make a safe escape,” Hynes said.
“This is why it’s so important to make sure your smoke alarms are well maintained and working.”