FBI still stumped 30 years after D.B. Cooper’s leap

Associated Press

SEATTLE – It was 30 years ago Saturday that D.B. Cooper jumped from a hijacked, Seattle-bound jetliner with $200,000 in ransom money strapped to his waist, never to be heard from again.

His escapade remains the only unsolved skyjacking in the United States. The FBI has received thousands of tips, but investigators have nothing to go on.

There’s no suspect, no leads – and nothing to prove who Cooper was, or where he went.

“He’s our Jesse James and Billy the Kid,” said Jerry Thomas of Jefferson County. Thomas is a retired Army infantryman who has searched the backwoods of southwestern Washington for any trace of Cooper.

Cooper apparently parachuted somewhere over Cowlitz or Clark counties. He’s beaten the best crime fighters in the country, earning him folk hero status among some.

On Saturday, the tiny town of Ariel will throw a party for Cooper for the 27th straight year at the Ariel Store, the town’s main bar.

Cooper’s case inspired some copycat attempts and prompted new airport security measures nationwide.

“It’s with me,” said Ralph Himmelsbach, the FBI agent who worked the case for eight years until retiring in 1980. “I don’t lose any sleep over it, but if I had my druthers, it would be solved.”

In a book he wrote about the case, Himmelsbach says, “Here’s a little guy all by himself who reached up and tweaked Uncle Sam’s nose and took $200,000 from a major corporation.”

Many who have studied Cooper’s actions of Thanksgiving Eve 1971 are certain he died trying to escape. They have reason to believe that, too. The weather was bad with heavy rain; Cooper jumped over a dense forest of pine and Douglas fir; he was dressed in a suit and loafers; and one of the two parachutes he used was defective.

But his story is fascinating.

On Nov. 24, 1971, a thin man in his 40s calling himself Dan Cooper showed up at the Northwest Orient Airlines ticket counter at Portland International Airport. He paid $20 cash for a one-way flight to Seattle departing at 4:35 p.m. He then waited 50 minutes to board the Boeing 727. He took a seat near the back of the plane, and had the row to himself.

Soon after takeoff, Cooper handed a note to a stewardess and said he had a bomb on board. He let her peak into his briefcase at wires and red sticks that seemed to be explosives. He then demanded $200,000, four parachutes and “no funny stuff.” At 5:40 p.m., the plane landed at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and authorities met his demands.

Then, he ordered the plane back into the air and to fly toward Mexico via Reno at no more than 10,000 feet. He later jumped, and hasn’t been seen or heard from since.

In 1971 and 1980, the FBI conducted extensive searches for Cooper, collecting 1,200 files and looking into countless leads with no luck. About six inquiries still come in to agents each month, but most are just filed away.

What authorities know about Cooper is that he smoked Raleigh cigarettes, drank whiskey and was familiar with aerodynamics.

Only some of his ransom money – a bundle of $20 bills – has turned up. A child digging in a sand bar on the north bank of the Columbia River west of Vancouver found the money in 1980. The serial numbers had been recorded by the FBI.

“The fact that it’s the only unsolved hijacking keeps it high profile,” said FBI agent Ralph Hope of Seattle, the latest agent in charge of the case. “It will remain that way until we know the individual could not be alive.”

Copyright ©2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

More in Local News

NO CAPTION NECESSARY: Logo for the Cornfield Report by Jerry Cornfield. 20200112
No right turns on red gets a look, a bid to expand sports betting arrives

It’s a new week. Here’s what’s happening on Day 22 of the 2023 session of the Washington Legislature

A man was injured and a woman found dead Sunday night after an RV fire in Marysville. (Marysville Fire District)
Woman dead, man burned in Marysville RV fire

The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office and Marysville Police Department were investigating the cause of the fire.

James Lewis
COVID still ‘simmering’ in the county, while booster uptake remains low

Meanwhile, flu and RSV cases have plummeted, suggesting the “tripledemic” could — emphasis on “could” — be fading.

Herald publisher Rudi Alcott
A note from the publisher

The Daily Herald publisher Rudi Alcott discusses our new publishing schedule and newspaper delivery by mail.

Locals from the group Safe Lynnwood gather in front of the Ryann Building on 196th Street SW to protest the opening of a methadone clinic in the building on Sunday, Jan. 22, 2023, in Lynnwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Despite controversy, Lynnwood opioid treatment center opens its doors

For weeks, protesters have objected to the center opening near Little League fields and a Boys and Girls Club.

CEO Amy King standing outside of a Pallet shelter. (Courtesy of Pallet)
After rapid rise, Everett’s Pallet hits milestone: 100 shelter villages

Temporary home manufacturer Pallet hires locals who have “experienced homelessness, substance abuse or the justice system.”

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Snohomish in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Boil water advisory in effect for 75 Snohomish homes

A water main break resulted in outages and possible contamination Sunday. Service was expected to return by Wednesday.

Ismael Cruz-Sanchez speaks at his sentencing at the Snohomish County Courthouse on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Driver in fatal I-5 crash in Arlington gets 10 years

Ismael Cruz-Sanchez had a lengthy history with impaired driving. He pleaded guilty to killing Jason Vogan, 45.

The building at 307 Olympic Avenue, seen on Thursday, Jan. 26, 2023, is home to the office of Omni-Mana Services in Arlington, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Charges: Arlington drug trafficker masqueraded as a pastor

Prosecutors say Steve Parker led a double life, helping people in addiction while dealing drugs across Western Washington.

Most Read