MOUNTLAKE TERRACE — Investigators have determined a fire that did more than $180,000 damage to a Mountlake Terrace home Sunday night started in the garage and was most likely accidental.
They could not pinpoint the exact cause, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
The fire was reported around 8 p.m. by the man who rents the single-story house in the 5400 block of 230th Street SW. He escaped after calling 911.
No one was injured.
“Flames were coming from the side and back of the attached garage when the first firefighters arrived,” Hynes said. “The fire had already spread to the attic above the living area of the house.”
Firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood and Shoreline had the blaze under control within about 25 minutes. Snohomish County Fire District 1 provides fire and emergency medical services in the City of Mountlake Terrace.
Damage from the fire and smoke left the house uninhabitable. Support 7 and the Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross assisted the renter. Both the homeowner and the renter have insurance.