MONROE — A two-alarm fire displaced 19 tenants Tuesday evening in Monroe.
Investigators were told the fire was sparked by food left cooking on a stove around 6:40 p.m.
Fast-moving flames damaged eight apartments at the complex on 179th Avenue SE, according to Snohomish County Fire District 7.
An aggressive attack by firefighters kept the building from being a total loss, district spokeswoman Heather Chadwick said. Six fire agencies battled the flames for about 20 minutes until it was under control.
No people were hurt.
One cat was rescued, revived with mouth-to-mouth breathing and taken to a local animal hospital.
A local chapter of the American Red Cross was helping the displaced residents.
A damage estimate hadn’t been released as of Wednesday.