Ramona (left) and Frank Anderson, both 80, were married nearly 60 years. (Family photo)

Ramona (left) and Frank Anderson, both 80, were married nearly 60 years. (Family photo)

Former Everett mayor injured, wife killed in rollover crash

Frank and Ramona Anderson were married 60 years. She was a medical assistant at The Everett Clinic.

GRAND COULEE — A former Everett mayor was injured and his wife was killed in a rollover crash near Grand Coulee on Monday.

Frank Anderson, 80, was a career firefighter and a city councilmember for 12 years when he took over as interim mayor from July 2002 through December 2003. His wife, Ramona Anderson, also 80, had been a medical assistant at The Everett Clinic. Her daughters said she was known to tend to other peoples’ needs, both at her job and as a family member or friend.

The couple was headed to their home in Omak after visiting a friend in Spokane. Around 2 p.m., they were traveling eastbound on Highway 174 near Grand Coulee. The 2012 minivan drifted onto the right shoulder, crossed back and went off the road on the other side before rolling over, according to a Washington State Patrol accident memo.

Frank Anderson freed himself, but his wife was stuck and having trouble breathing.

Around the same time, a man and woman from British Columbia were riding their motorcycles nearby, according to the Andersons’ daughters. The passersby saw the minivan about 40 feet away from the highway, with its lights still on, and went down to help. Unable to open the side doors, the man crawled in through the hatchback. He freed Ramona Anderson and helped her lie down inside the car so she could breathe.

The woman, meanwhile, rode off to find cell service and called 911.

By the time medics arrived, Ramona Anderson had lost consciousness and the man was performing CPR. She died at the scene.

Frank Anderson was flown by medical helicopter to Central Washington Hospital in Wenatchee where he was treated for minor injuries. He was released Tuesday evening.

On Wednesday, daughter Carol Whitfield called it “a miracle” that her father survived without any broken bones. She and her sister Janet Salmon said they were thankful for the motorcyclists, who were there when no one else could be.

“They treated our parents like they were their own,” Salmon said.

Frank and Ramona Anderson would have celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in June. They had met at Northwest Bible College — now called Northwest University — in Kirkland.

He was an Everett boy. She was born in South Dakota.

The two had planned to visit Everett this week, with the expectation of welcoming a new great-granddaughter into the world.

Both daughters said Ramona Anderson had been a constant presence in their lives.

“You’d fall in love with her,” Whitfield said. “She was just amazing. She had such compassion for people. She loved talking to people and making people feel comfortable and welcome.”

Zachariah Bryan: 425-339-3431; zbryan@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @zachariahtb.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Navy now plans to send 3 more ships to Everett

The destroyer USS John S. McCain is the latest with plans to move here within the next 13 months.

One dead, three hospitalized after Highway 522 crash

An East Wenatchee woman died after a head-on collision Saturday night in Monroe.

Man suspected of child abuse in Hawaii arrested in Shoreline

He was wanted for investigation of seven counts of child sexual assault and abuse in Maui.

New grants aim to retrain aerospace workers

County program offers up to $250,000 per business to help workers acquire new skills.

Marysville man charged in stabbing, trapping of girlfriend

After allegedly keeping her in the car for hours as she bled, he dropped her off at the hospital.

Police: Lake Stevens political sign thief assaults witness

The suspect, 66, removed signs of two Black candidates, then attacked a man who confronted him, police said.

Humpback whale hit by Mukilteo ferry, Chip, is presumed dead

The whale, age 3, has not been seen since being struck Monday. His companion was later seen alone.

Lynnwood police chief retires; city planning for replacement

Chief Tom Davis was a career cop who put an emphasis on building relations with the public.

Most Read