Grilling this weekend? Safety tips

MUKILTEO — Discarded barbecue charcoal last week torched a Mukilteo home and caused $200,000 in damage.

To ensure your celebration doesn’t take a tragic turn this Memorial Day, take precautions before you fire up the grill, officials urge.

This weekend and always, people should “be safe with fire and make sure to keep the kids away from it,” said Snohomish Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Craig Heike.

The leading cause of fires sparked by charcoal grills is placing materials that can burn too close to the grill, according to the National Fire Prevention Association.

Remember to keep grills away from combustibles, Heike said. Don’t leave them where children can find them. If using briquettes, remember that they remain hot for 24 hours, and store them in a metal container. If using lighter fluid, spray a small amount and avoid adding lighter fluid to an existing fire, Heike said.

If you are using propane tanks, don’t store them in the sun, Heike said. The gas will expand in the heat. “That’s the most common problem we see during warm weather,” he said.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission also issued tips for using gas grills. Turn off the gas right away if you notice a leak. Don’t try to light the grill again until the leak is fixed.

Also, keep the top open when lighting a gas grill. If the grill doesn’t light at the first few tries, wait five minutes to allow the gas to clear.

Almost 10,000 people in 2007 went to the country’s emergency rooms for burns sustained from using grills, according to a National Fire Prevention Association report.

Neighbors last Tuesday saw smoke coming from a home in Mukilteo’s Elliot Pointe community and called for help. A column of black smoke was seen rising above the neighborhood that afternoon as firefighters worked to get the fire under control.

Investigators later found the fire started in a yard-waste bin with discarded barbecue charcoal. Flames spread up the southeast corner of the house and onto the roof of the attached garage.

Katya Yefimova: 425-339-3452, kyefimova@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

More in Local News

The scene on U.S. 2 in Monroe where a police officer on a motorcycle was struck by a motorist Tuesday. (Washington State Patrol) 20210127
Monroe motorcycle cop injured in crash on U.S. 2

The other driver, 35, of Monroe, was arrested for investigation of DUI.

Micah Hogan (Rotary Club of Everett)
Three Everett students earn monthly Rotary honor

Everett Rotary names January students of the month Three high school students… Continue reading

Gail Kronberg plays a Tibetan singing bowl. The practice of sound therapy can have healing and soothing effects for listeners. Kronberg is one of many holistic healers who call Whidbey home. Photo by Kira Erickson/Whidbey News Group
Whidbey becoming a haven for practitioners of holistic health

The island is flush with naturopaths, hypnotherapists, energy healers and new technologies.

NO CAPTION NECESSARY: Logo for the Cornfield Report by Jerry Cornfield. 20200112
As COVID bills advance, Inslee urges teachers to suck it up

Here’s what’s happening on Day 17 of the 2021 session of the Washington Legislature.

Man stabbed Sunday in Lynnwood supermarket parking lot dies

The victim was in his early 60s. Detectives are looking for help to identify suspects.

Bernie Sanders meme using an app with Google Maps.
Bernie’s mittens: Feel the Bern? Or are you Berned out?

That photo of the senator looking frumpy and bored at the inauguration is everywhere, including Everett.

Ric Ilgenfritz is the new CEO Community Transit. (Kevin Clark/The Herald)
Community Transit’s new CEO looks beyond the pandemic

Ric Ilgenfritz anticipates continued growth and more bus service adjustments as light rail extends north.

Lynnwood man identified as Fred Meyer stabbing victim

Police were searching for a young woman who allegedly stabbed and killed Greg McKnight.

Weatherstripping is installed Thursday afternoon at Pallet in Everett on January 21, 2020. (Kevin Clark/The Herald)
Everett-based Pallet offers a novel way to shelter homeless

The manufacturer’s small, temporary homes have helped hundreds of people get off the streets around Puget Sound.

Most Read