OLYMPIA — High levels of a foreign biotoxin has been discovered in some Washington state shellfish.
The Washington State Department of Health said Thursday that this is the first time that unacceptable levels of the toxin has been found in U.S. food. It’s typically found in European counties and was recently found in British Columbia waters.
State officials have been concerned that the biotoxin may become an issue in Washington waters and have started environmental monitoring. They say people should not eat shellfish from the area of Sequim Bay until further notice. Shellfish product from the area has been recalled, and none of it is currently on the market.
The toxin is not killed by cooking and can cause flu-like symptoms.