LAKEWOOD — Campuses across the Lakewood School District were closed Wednesday morning after a threat of violence at the middle school.
District officials said they put schools in lockdown as a precaution after a Lakewood Middle School student received a threat via social media to “stay home because someone was going to shoot up the middle school.” All of the district’s schools are in close proximity to each other.
That led to the decision to cancel schools in the district of roughly 2,300 students.
Snohomish County sheriff’s deputies were investigating the threat Wednesday morning. Deputies were working to obtain a search warrant to identify where the online threat originated, sheriff’s spokeswoman Shari Ireton said. Law enforcement will be on-site throughout the day, she said.
Bus drivers were told to return students to their homes. Drivers also were instructed to go to the bus routes that had not been picked up to tell students to return home.
Students who already were at school were with staff members in safe locations, district officials said.
“Once law enforcement tells us it is safe to do so, we will be contacting the families of all students on campus to inform you of the best time and location to pick up your students,” the district reported on its website. “Again, this lockdown is a precaution and at this time no students or staff are in immediate danger.”
In some instances, threats to commit violence at school have been tracked down and prosecuted.
Prosecutors last week charged a 16-year-old boy with two counts of felony harassment after he allegedly to made threats to shoot students at Mukilteo’s Kamiak High School, including his ex-girlfriend, according to court papers.
A former Glacier Peak High School student also was charged with a felony earlier this year for a series of bomb threats. The teen told police she was trying to avoid a class presentation.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446, firstname.lastname@example.org