Lockdown disrupts two schools

By Cathy Logg

Herald Writer

MARYSVILLE — Parents of fifth-grade students arrived at Kellogg Marsh Elementary School Wednesday anticipating their children’s graduation ceremony. Instead, they found the school and nearby Cedarcrest School in lockdown after several students on the playground reported seeing a man armed with a gun threatening to shoot students.

But authorities found no sign of the man, despite an extensive search by police and a Snohomish County sheriff’s K-9 unit, Marysville police Cmdr. Rob Lamoureux said.

No one was injured during the midday lockdown or resulting confusion.

In case of emergency

Marysville School District lockdown procedures:

  • A staff member notifies an administrator immediately of an intruder and calls 911.

  • A command post is set up, usually in the school office.

  • Staff members are assigned to entrances to monitor nondistrict people.

  • Students in the halls are directed immediately to a classroom. Students outside are directed to a specific room.

  • All classroom windows, doors and exit doors are locked once the halls are cleared.

  • Blinds are closed. Windows on doors are covered with paper.

  • Students assume a safe position on the floor or against walls.

  • When the threat has been eliminated, “all clear” is signaled to end the lockdown.

  • The incident did disrupt the routines of hundreds of families and caused a momentary, yet controlled panic. As a result, Kellogg Marsh officials postponed the fifth-grade graduation ceremony. Parents were delayed in picking up their children and buses were delayed in dropping off youngsters at home. About 1,550 students at the elementary and middle schools remained in their classrooms for more than two hours during the lockdown.

    Four Kellogg Marsh students reported seeing a man with a silver handgun outside the playground fence, according to Lamoureux and Mary Fears, the Marysville School District spokeswoman.

    "He showed them what he said was a gun. He told them he was going to shoot them and then call the police," Lamoureux said.

    The children described the man as an adult with red hair and an orange shirt. He was in a wooded area on the school’s south side.

    School and district leaders, including superintendent Richard Eisenhauer, talked with the Kellogg Marsh students.

    "One little girl said she saw a man with what she thought was a gun, and the man said something to her. What he said, I don’t know," Fears said.

    School officials immediately went into lockdown and notified police, Fears said. Due to concerns that the man might head toward Cedarcrest, police ordered that school into lockdown as well.

    While the police search didn’t locate a gunman, investigators haven’t decided whether it was a false alarm.

    "You want to take the kids for their word," Lamoureux said. "We’d rather be safe than sorry. We’re still going to err on the side of caution and treat it as factual information."

    Today, on the last day of the school year, a police officer will be assigned to Kellogg Marsh "just for peace of mind," Lamoureux said.

    Investigators will again interview the four students — three girls and a boy — who reported seeing the gunman. Those interviews should help police obtain more specific details, he said.

    The lockdown began during the noon hour when first- and second-grade students were on the playground at Kellogg Marsh.

    According to a playground supervisor, 10 to 15 children were in the area where the four students said they saw the man.

    At one point, officers were focused on a house in the neighborhood, and school officials said an individual was seen entering a house between Kellogg Marsh and Cedarcrest. Lamoureux didn’t have details on why officers were interested in that house.

    An afternoon kindergarten bus with youngsters aboard was diverted to the school district office, where a teacher supervised the youngsters in the boardroom. Their parents were called at home and allowed to pick up their children, provided they had identification.

    Parents arrived at Cedarcrest and Kellogg Marsh to find the driveways blocked off by school and police vehicles. Soon, cars jammed nearby streets as droves of fretting parents waited, eager to find their children.

    Once the lockdown had ended, one parent was allowed inside the school for each child, but they had to show identification. Also, school personnel took pictures of the children and parents before they left.

    At Kellogg Marsh, they formed an orderly line to have their identification checked. Twenty anxious parents were allowed in at a time.

    Melissia Campbell feared she and her husband, Scott, had missed son Chris Smith’s graduation ceremony.

    Campbell had never seen a school lockdown before "except on TV," she said tearfully. "I know the kids have told me they’ve practiced this. I just want to get my son and take him home."

    When Chris, 11, and Scott walked out of the school, Campbell opened her arms wide and smothered Chris in a big hug. Chris said his class passed the time watching a movie and playing Huckle Buckle and Heads Up-Seven Up.

    "They told us to stay calm and be quiet," he said.

    John Maxwell picked up his son, Daniel, 11, who said he felt safe inside the school. His class watched a Dr. Seuss movie.

    "We went under our desks, and our teacher gave us something to do, and we had to take a nap down there because our teacher thought they were going to come into our room," said 6-year-old Kali Burnside. "He covered all the windows up."

    Her brother, Mitchell, 11, a fifth-grader, said his class was outside eating pizza to celebrate their pending graduation. Teachers lured the students back inside by telling them there was a surprise there, several youths said.

    "Finally, people figured out it was a lockdown and rumors were being passed," Mitchell said. "The air conditioning was not on and it was real hot. We could only get one drink of water each. Then I went and filled my water bottle. I wasn’t supposed to. I shared it with others. We had to stay in there for two hours and 15 minutes."

    As some parents retrieved their children and began to leave, other parents still waiting in line began to relax and chat among themselves.

    "You see all these happen to other schools," said Linda Masters, another parent anxiously awaiting her daughter, Jessica, 11. "You never think it’ll happen to yours."

    Reporter Eric Stevick contributed to this report.

    You can call Herald Writer Cathy Logg at 425-339-3437

    or send e-mail to logg@heraldnet.com.

    Talk to us

    More in Local News

    Arif Ghouseat flips through his work binder in his office conference room Paine Field on Monday, Dec. 10, 2018 in Everett, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
    Paine Field Airport director departing for Sea-Tac job

    Arif Ghouse, who oversaw the launch of commercial air travel at Paine Field, is leaving after eight years.

    NO CAPTION. Logo to accompany news of education.
    Public school enrollment still down, even as rural districts grow

    Smaller districts in Snohomish County seem to be recovering more quickly — and gaining students — than their urban counterparts.

    Josiah Degenstein
    Lake Stevens man with alleged white supremacist ties faces gun charges

    Storage units belonging to Josiah Degenstein contained multiple arsenals, according to police.

    Maricel Samaniego, center, teaches English to Liedith Espana, left, and Nemecio Rios, right, at Liberty Elementary School in Marysville, Washington, on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023. Marysville schools partner with Everett Community College to offer free English classes to parents of multilingual students. (Annie Barker / The Herald)
    Free English class helps Marysville parents lower language barrier

    The school district partners with EvCC to teach practical classes on pronunciation, paperwork and parent-teacher conferences.

    Firefighters works through rescue drills during the Snohomish Regional Fire & Rescue’s annual Water Rescue Academy on the Skykomish River Thursday afternoon in Index, Washington on May 5, 2022. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
    Snohomish Regional Fire asks voters for two more commissioners

    The district currently has seven commissioners, but it can keep only five. A Feb. 14 special election could change that.

    Photo by David Welton
A federal grant will help pay for the cost of adding a charging station to the Clinton ferry terminal.
    Federal money to help electrify Clinton ferry dock

    The Federal Transit Administration awarded state ferries a $4.9 million grant to help electrify the Mukilteo-Clinton route.

    News logo for use with stories about coronavirus COVID-19 COVID
    5 things to watch in Snohomish County as COVID public emergency ends

    Snohomish County health care leaders shared what they’re concerned about when the federal emergency expires May 11.

    Angelica Montanari and daughter Makena, 1, outside of the Community Health Center of Snohomish County Everett-Central Clinic on Thursday, Feb. 2, 2023. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
    Amid patient woes, CHC of Snohomish County staffers push for a union

    Doctors and nurse practitioners are worried about providers being shut out from clinical decisions, which hurts patient care.

    Students make their way after school at Edmonds-Woodway High School on March 12, 2020. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
    After Edmonds schools internet outage, staff ‘teaching like it’s the 1900s’

    “Suspicious activities” on the district’s network delayed classes and caused schedule havoc. “Kids are using pencil and paper again.”

    Most Read