EVERETT — A man suffered second- and third-degree burns in a small fire Friday morning at a motel in Everett.
At 1:08 a.m, firefighters responded to a smoke alarm and the smell of smoke at Motel 6 in the 10000 block of Evergreen Way, the Everett Fire Department reported in a press release Tuesday. They found an unconscious man, 31, whose clothes were on fire. He suffered burns to his torso, arms and neck.
The man was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
Firefighters suspected opioid use may have been a “contributing factor” in the fire.
Drugs were found in the same room, but there was no indication the man was cooking them, according to the fire department.
In the press release, firefighters gave a quick step-by-step guide if you think someone has overdosed.
1. Check for signs of overdose, for example, shallow breathing and loss of consciousness.
2. Call 911.
3. Give naloxone and start rescue breathing. Naloxone will not harm someone if you give it to them and they are not overdosing, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
4. Stay with them.