Man sneaks away during SWAT standoff south of Everett

He was arrested a mile west of the home where he had barricaded himself.

EVERETT — A SWAT standoff south of Everett ended with a man arrested about a mile from the home in which he barricaded himself for most of the night.

The Everett man, 40, sent texts threatening to harm himself and others Tuesday, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies went to his home in the 11500 block of Meridian Street around 8:30 p.m. They were told he had a shotgun. He reportedly refused to exit, sparking a large response that included the North Sound Metro SWAT team.

The man spoke with deputies on the phone for hours, on and off. He turned off his phone and went silent for long stretches, then restarted a conversation with a negotiator, sheriff’s spokeswoman Courtney O’Keefe said.

During one of the silences, he escaped. How he got out isn’t clear.

Deputies found him walking down East Gibson Road around 11:30 p.m., about a mile west of the standoff. He was arrested without incident and booked into the Snohomish County Jail on allegations of felony threats against two family members. No one was injured.

A shotgun was recovered from the man’s vehicle, outside his home. His felony record means he isn’t supposed to possess guns.

Court records show that in 2006 the man led a sheriff’s deputy on a 100 mph chase. In that case, a deputy in an unmarked patrol car tried to ticket him for not wearing a seatbelt. The man pulled over but sped off as soon as the deputy got out of the car. He bailed from the driver’s seat at a gas station. Police chased him down, checked his pockets and found five grams of cocaine.

Caleb Hutton: 425-339-3454; Twitter: @snocaleb.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Monroe woman missing since Tuesday, says sheriff’s office

Kenna Harris, 25, was last seen leaving her family’s home and was reportedly on her way to Walmart.

Tyler Chism was diagnosed with COVID-19 and is currently cleared, by CDC standards, but chooses to remain indoors at home on March 20 in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Gallery: Life in Snohomish County as coronavirus takes hold

A collection of images by our staff photographers from our COVID-19 coverage over the past month.

Watch Gov. Jay Inslee’s Thursday news conference here

He will be joined by state health officials to give an update on the coronavirus response.

Victims of 2 Snohomish County homicides are identified

In unrelated cases, a man died of a gunshot in Lynnwood, and an Everett landlord died of blunt-force trauma.

Closed Edmonds car lot dodged hundreds of thousands in taxes

For years, Kero’s Auto Brokers greatly underreported its sales, and how much it owed the state.

Final farewells continue, but few are allowed to say goodbye

Rules for funerals limit attendees to immediate family. In Darrington, a memorial tradition is on hold.

Watch Gov. Jay Inslee’s Wednesday news conference here

He is expected to discuss the need for manufacturers to provide personal protective equipment.

COVID-19 and supporting essential workers

Public Health Essentials! A blog by the Snohomish Health District.

Inslee signs transportation budget, with car tabs in mind

The state will account for vehicle registration fees it collects, in case they have to be given back.

Most Read