MARYSVILLE — A family of six was forced from their home after a fire started Friday morning.
Firefighters arrived at the one-story house in the 1300 block of 150th Place NW at 11 a.m., Marysville Fire District spokeswoman Kristen Thorstenson said.
The family, including three children, were home at the time and got away safely. Their two cats and four dogs also escaped, Thorstenson said.
Firefighters determined that the fire started in a bedroom, where combustible materials were too close to a portable heater. Damage is estimated at around $20,000, Thorstenson said.
Red Cross volunteers were helping the family, who couldn’t return to the house Friday night.
“We want to make sure people are thinking about fire safety, especially this time of the year,” Thorstenson said.
Marysville Fire District officials urge people to keep things that can catch fire at least two feet away from space heaters and have working smoke alarms in all sleeping areas.