MARYSVILLE — Bennett the cat had been missing for a week when Marysville firefighters saved him from a neighbor’s chimney on Sunday.
It wasn’t the first time crews from the Marysville Fire District had rescued a pet in recent months. In August, they helped a German Shepherd named Akiva off a second-story roof.
“If we get a call for help we are going to help, whether it’s you or your pet,” district spokesperson Christie Veley said.
Firefighters believe Bennett fell into the chimney but aren’t sure how long he was actually in there. The neighbor called soon after the cat’s meows began coming from the fireplace, around 6 p.m. Sunday. The house is in the 5600 block of 91st Place NE.
Four firefighters from Station 62 on Shoultes Road responded to the call. It took about an hour to retrieve the cat by hand.
“He stayed pretty calm throughout the whole process,” Veley said.
Bennett visited the vet once he was removed. He showed no signs of injury after his week-long excursion and is now back with his family.
Back in August, Akiva the German Shepherd crawled out of a second-story window of his home in the 6800 block of 64th Drive NE, while his family was out for a few hours.
A video posted to the Marysville Fire District Facebook page shows the pup climbing off the roof and into a fire engine bucket with ease. Firefighters then lowered him to the ground. A crew from Station 62 also responded to that call, Veley said.
Even though firefighters have rescued a couple of pets in the past few months, it doesn’t happen very often, Veley said.
“The moral of the story is we’re ready to answer any type of call,” she said.