Navy spy Arthur Walker dies in prison

Arthur Walker, a retired U.S. Navy lieutenant commander who was convicted of spying for the Soviets during the Cold War and was a member of what was described as an entire family of spies, died earlier this month at a federal prison where he was serving a life sentence. He was 79.

Walker was being held at the Butner, N.C., prison complex, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons said he died in custody July 5. A friend gave the date as July 4 and told author Pete Earley that Walker apparently had acute kidney failure.

Walker, who found work with the military contractor VSE after his Navy retirement in the early 1970s, was convicted in 1985 of seven espionage-related charges. A younger brother, John Anthony Walker, and a nephew, Michael Lance Walker, later pleaded guilty to spying charges. (A fourth member of the ring, Jerry Whitworth, a former Navy radioman, was also convicted and sentenced to 365 years in prison.)

Earley called his 1988 book about them “Family of Spies: Inside the John Walker Spy Ring.” The story was made into a 1990 television movie, with Powers Boothe as John Walker and John Jackson as Arthur.

In addition to the inherent fascination of espionage, a variety of factors prompted interest in the Walkers. The Navy service of all three made them seem particularly worthy of condemnation. In addition, their blood kinship seemed to offer a mocking commentary on the meaning of the phrase “family values.”

Moreover, the Washington region formed the backdrop to much of their story. Significant events occurred in Virginia, Maryland and Washington. What they did and how it was exposed involved techniques familiar from novels and films.

For example, as John Walker told his story, it all began in the late 1960s when he walked into the Soviet Embassy in Washington to show what he could provide. Matters came to an end after the FBI was put on his trail by his former wife, and he was spotted leaving a grocery bag near a tree in Poolesville, Md.

The paper bag contained secrets concealed under trash.

The Walker matter also included some memorable courtroom scenes. At one point, a prosecution witness was asked to point out Arthur Walker. But Walker’s toupee had been confiscated, and the witness apparently could not recognize him without it.

Obligingly, Walker relieved the discomfiture of the witness by giving him a friendly wave.

The ring masterminded by John Walker was described by officials as one of the most damaging in American history. But defense lawyers and acquaintances characterized Arthur Walker as the ring’s least culpable member.

He admitted to receiving $12,000 from his brother in exchange for materials that included a training manual on repairing damage to a Navy ship and a report on equipment failures aboard amphibious vessels.

He was called the dupe of a manipulative brother; the materials he trafficked in were said to be of minimal value, and his attorneys argued that no evidence existed that the items ever reached the Soviets.

As Walker himself told his story, he was despondent over debts when his brother told him that he knew “friends” who would pay money for secrets.

In Walkers’s telling, his brother pressed him for classified material, and the items he turned over were intended to relieve the pressure. They were classified “confidential,” the lowest level in the classification structure. His idea was to show that he had little to offer, Walker said.

News accounts of his 1985 trial — held at U.S. District Court in Norfolk, Va. — described the father of three, a Little League coach, as standing meekly before the judge.

However, a prosecutor, Robert Seidel, said of Walker: “For $12,000, he sells out the safety and security … not just of the Navy, but of every citizen of the United States of America.”

The damage-repair manual was termed a “Bible for sabotage,” and the other document was also said to be of great value to an enemy.

It took only 15 minutes after closing arguments had ended for the judge to deliver a guilty verdict.

At sentencing, Walker said he wished to “apologize to all the citizens of our country for what I did. No one could be sorrier for anything they ever did.”

The judge, J. Calvitt Clarke, imposed a penalty of three life sentences plus 40 years.

Earley, in a 2010 op-ed piece in USA Today, argued for Walker’s release on parole, asserting that he had served enough time for the offense he committed. On his blog, Earley called him a “naive spy” who lived in his brother’s shadow.

“There was never any evidence that his spying harmed anyone except himself,” Earley wrote in his blog.

The best available information indicates that Arthur James Walker grew up partly in Scranton, Pa., in a family riven by alcoholism. He joined the Navy in the early 1950s as an enlisted man after high school. Although he had never completed college, he rose from the ranks to retire as an officer.

He married Rita Fritsch and had three children. Information on survivors is incomplete.

John Walker, who has had a series of medical ailments in recent years, is at a prison medical facility in Butner, N.C., the Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk reported. John’s son, Michael, was released from prison after 15 years.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Construction crews demolish public housing  homes at the Baker Heights in Everett’s Delta Neighborhood on Tuesday, June 8, 2021 in Everett, Washington.  (Chuck Taylor / The Herald)
Baker Heights site no longer on the table for WSU expansion

As demolition proceeds, it’s unclear what the Everett Housing Authority will do with roughly 10 acres.

Rick Steves has supported a number of local projects with donations of $1 million or more.  (Dan Bates / The Herald)
Travel guru Rick Steves will be Edmonds parade grand marshal

The Edmonds Chamber was finally able to honor the native son now that the pandemic is keeping him home.

Detectives investigate killing of woman, 23, in Smokey Point

She had “obvious signs of trauma,” according to the sheriff’s office. A 25-year-old man was arrested.

Woman injured after shooting at south Everett 7-Eleven

She was taken to a hospital and was expected to survive. The suspects fled the scene.

Vandalism in Lake Stevens prompts city to install cameras

Park bathrooms have been the main targets. The mayor hopes surveillance and watchful citizens will be deterrents.

FILE - In this May 26, 2020, file photo, a sign at the headquarters for the Washington state Employment Security Department is shown at the Capitol in Olympia, Wash. Washington state's rush to get unemployment benefits to residents who lost jobs due to the coronavirus outbreak left it vulnerable to criminals who made off with hundreds of millions of dollars in fraudulent claims. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren, File)
State’s unemployment recipients must look for work after July 4

The change comes after Washington reported the third straight weekly decline in jobless claims.

One-time payments of $1,250 proposed for some county workers

Another proposal by County Executive Somers would boost hourly pay by $4 for grocery store workers.

Shinji Maeda steps out of his plane waving American and Japanese flags after completing his round-the-world tour that took him to 18 different countries on Friday, June 11, 2021 in Snohomish, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
After 22,000 miles and 18 countries, he landed in Snohomish

Partially blind Japanese native Shinji Maeda came to the U.S. to become an aviator. Then he toured the world.

Shawn Edge, left, Robert Guss, center, Robert Lee McCracken, right, try to locate on a cellphone where Shawn Edge and Charlie Cortez fell in the water on Friday, May 28, 2021 in Possession Sound, Wash. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Six months, and still no sign of Tulalip officer who drowned

Other officers and volunteers won’t stop searching for Charlie Cortez until they can bring closure for his family.

Most Read