MOUNTLAKE TERRACE – A neighbor’s swift action this afternoon helped stop a fire next door from spreading.
David Rossi Jr. told firefighters he heard a popping noise and saw flames coming from the stove in a second-floor apartment across the courtyard from his home in the 5000 block of 212th Street SW, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said. The fire was reported about 12:30 p.m.
Rossi made sure everyone was out of the building, Hynes said. He used five or six fire extinguishers to put out the flames.
“Mr. Rossi did a great job in a stressful situation,” she said.
When fire crews arrived, the unit was filled with smoke but the fire was out. The family living in the apartment, including three children, couldn’t stay there, Hynes said. Red Cross volunteers were called for help.
Investigators determined the fire was accidental and started on the stovetop, Hynes said. The damage was estimated at $60,000.