New Suez Canal to be completed by Aug. 6

ISMAILIA, Egypt — Work on a parallel waterway to allow two-way traffic on Egypt’s Suez Canal will be finished in time to allow ships to transit for a gala inauguration ceremony at the key trade route on Aug. 6, officials said Saturday.

Work has been 85 percent completed, with 43 dredging machines working round the clock to finish their excavation by July 15, canal authority chief Mohab Mameesh said. Electronic navigation systems have been installed and pilots are training on simulators equipped with maps of the new canal.

“People haven’t slept… it’s like a battle,” he told reporters in the canal city of Ismailia, 120 kilometers (75 miles) east of Cairo. “It is boosting our self-confidence and we are hoping this project will return Egypt to the path for investment.”

President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi has ordered the new waterway to be dug in a single year, saying that the urgency of Egypt’s economic situation meant the project could not wait for an originally planned three-year timetable.

The government aims to more than double annual canal revenues to some $13 billion in less than a decade, although that ambitious goal depends largely on rapid growth in world trade. The canal drew in $5.5 billion in revenues last year, its most lucrative since it was first opened in 1869.

Authorities also plan to build an industrial and logistical zone along the canal over the next five years, hoping to draw investment on the vital shipping lane between Asia and Europe for companies eager to place operations along the route.

On a tugboat tour of new canal sections, dozens of dredgers, ships and bulldozers were at work, spitting sand, pushing earth and reinforcing embankments with concrete and stone.

In a presentation, canal authorities gave few details about the inauguration ceremony, except that el-Sissi would be in attendance along with world leaders and some 200 celebrities to observe traffic flowing simultaneously north and south through the canal.

Mameesh said funding for the festivities will come from private companies and that it would not cost the state budget “a single penny.”

Talk to us

More in Local News

COVID-19 updates for parents and guardians

Public Health Essentials! A blog by the Snohomish Health District.

Shouts and joy: After 75 years war’s end still unforgettable

Machias native, author of “Pilchuck Reflections,” was watching a movie in Everett when the news came.

Everett man identified after being stabbed to death in fight

A man reportedly stabbed Sophan Phal, 35, Sunday night near Everett and fled the scene.

Soper Hill roundabout and pedestrian trail work wraps up

Lake Stevens and Marysville worked together on the traffic infrastructure because of nearby development.

Oak Harbor Public Schools decide on plan for fall opening

Conditions which must be met for a combination of in-person education and distance learning.

Police dog nabs, nips man suspected of burgling smoke shops

Monroe police arrested a man after two smoke shops were broken into Monday morning.

Rep. Larsen tours small businesses given federal PPP loans

The congressman said leaders in Washington D.C. continue to negotiate for further COVID-19 relief.

Deputies: ‘Abnormal strength’ led to forceful arrest in 2018

Newly released reports give Snohomish County deputies’ side in a case that’s now central to a lawsuit.

Local families praise state’s online early education program

The Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program found creative ways to reach kids during COVID.

Most Read