No sign of whale that beached itself this summer

EVERETT — It seemed inevitable.

Scientists were certain a gray whale that beached itself three times last summer off the shores of Everett and Tulalip would die.

It didn’t make sense to put a transmitter on a creature that seemed so weak.

Plans were being made for a necropsy.

A whale expert from the East Coast was on standby to fly across the country to study the whale after its death.

He never got the chance.

That’s because the 40-ton creature simply disappeared.

Brian Gorman, a spokesman for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Seattle, on Friday said whales seldom survive a beaching. The fact that the Everett gray whale survived three beachings is extremely unusual, he said.

“The assumption always was it was going to die,” he said. “Typically what happens is they strand, and that is the end of it. It was not anticipated it would even get out to open water.”

Without a transmitter, scientists have no way of knowing where the whale is or even if it is alive, he said.

They just know its body didn’t wash up on a Puget Sound beach, as almost certainly would have been the case if it had died last summer.

Gray whales typically migrate between Alaska and Baja, Calif., dipping into Puget Sound to feed. Biologists estimate there are about 20,000 off the Pacific Coast.

Several neighbors said they had noticed the stranded whale feeding on sand shrimp along the Everett shoreline for a few weeks in June and July.

Gray whales are baleen whales, collecting shrimp or krill in comblike plates in their mouths.

The whale that created all the commotion last summer stranded twice off the shores of Everett and once off Tulalip.

Biologists and neighbors worked side by side to give it comfort while the tide was out.

They draped a long white sheet over its enormous flank to protect its sensitive skin from the beating sun. They splashed it with buckets of water.

Biologists also applied a petroleum jelly with zinc oxide around its eyes and blow hole to protect the delicate tissue from sunburn.

When it stranded off Tulalip, tribal members came up close in a canoe, drumming, singing and praying for the whale to get well and find its way to deeper water.

When the tide came up, the whale swam away.

The experts never were able to determine the whale’s gender because of how it was positioned in the sand, Gorman said.

Chances are no one will ever know for sure what happened to the whale.

In open water, many whales simply sink to the bottom when they die, he said.

Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446;

Talk to us

More in Local News

Cars move across Edgewater Bridge toward Everett on Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2023, in Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edgewater Bridge redo linking Everett, Mukilteo delayed until mid-2024

The project, now with an estimated cost of $27 million, will detour West Mukilteo Boulevard foot and car traffic for a year.

Lynn Deeken, the Dean of Arts, Learning Resources & Pathways at EvCC, addresses a large gathering during the ribbon cutting ceremony of the new Cascade Learning Center on Thursday, Sept. 28, 2023, at Everett Community College in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
New EvCC learning resource center opens to students, public

Planners of the Everett Community College building hope it will encourage students to use on-campus tutoring resources.

Everett Police Chief Dan Templeman announces his retirement after 31 years of service at the Everett City Council meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett police chief to retire at the end of October

Chief Dan Templeman announced his retirement at Wednesday’s City Council meeting. He has been chief for nine years.

Boeing employees watch the KC-46 Pegasus delivery event  from the air stairs at Boeing on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019 in Everett, Wa. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Boeing’s iconic Everett factory tour to resume in October

After a three-year hiatus, tours of the Boeing Company’s enormous jet assembly plant are back at Paine Field.

A memorial for a 15-year-old shot and killed last week is set up at a bus stop along Harrison Road on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2023, in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Teen boy identified in fatal shooting at Everett bus stop

Bryan Tamayo-Franco, 15, was shot at a Hardeson Road bus stop earlier this month. Police arrested two suspects.

Car crashes into Everett apartment, displacing residents

No one was injured in the crash late Friday, according to Everett police.

Mike Bredstrand, who is trying to get back his job with Lake Stevens Public Works, stands in front of the department’s building on Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023, in Lake Stevens, Washington. Bredstrand believes his firing in July was an unwarranted act of revenge by the city. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Lake Stevens worker was fired after getting court order against boss

The city has reportedly spent nearly $60,000 on attorney and arbitration fees related to Mike Bredstrand, who wants his job back.

Chap Grubb, founder and CEO of second-hand outdoor gear store Rerouted, stands inside his new storefront on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023, in Gold Bar, Washington. Rerouted began as an entirely online shop that connected buyers and sellers of used gear.  (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Used outdoor gear shop Rerouted finds a niche in Gold Bar

Seeking to keep good outdoor gear out of landfills, an online reselling business has put down roots in Gold Bar.

Naval Station Everett. (Chuck Taylor / Herald file)
Everett man sentenced to 6 years for cyberstalking ex-wife

Christopher Crawford, 42, was found guilty of sending intimate photos of his ex-wife to adult websites and to colleagues in the Navy.

Most Read