EVERETT — A smoldering cigarette likely sparked a blaze that ripped through an Everett home’s attic early Monday morning.
The fire was reported around 4 a.m. Three engines, a ladder truck and two medical units, and more than a dozen Everett firefighters quickly responded to the View Ridge neighborhood house.
Firefighters aggressively attacked the blaze, which already had spread to the attic, said Steve Goforth, an assistant fire marshal with Everett Fire Department.
They quickly knocked out the flames.
No injuries were reported. However, the house was too damaged for the residents to stay inside. The American Red Cross provided them with a place to stay, he said.
The fire appeared to have started on the home’s porch, “likely from a discarded cigarette,” said Goforth, who investigated the blaze.