Oregon refuge manager: Takeover will drive some workers away

  • By Dan Elliott and Steven DuBois Associated Press
  • Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:02pm
  • Local News

ESTES PARK, Colo. — About a third of the staff of an Oregon wildlife refuge that was taken over by armed protesters will probably leave their jobs because of the lingering effects of the occupation, the refuge manager said Thursday.

Some worry about being confronted by other protesters who sympathize with the anti-government group that took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge for 41 days earlier this year, manager Chad Karges said. Others are simply worn down by having to retell the story to others.

“If they’re a particular individual that struggles with these types of events, then having to repeat that story over and over and over is hard on them,” he said.

The refuge has a staff of 16, said Karges, who was in Colorado to accept an award from the National Wildlife Federation.

The National Wildlife Federation award praised Karges and his staff for building a good relationship with nearby residents long before the takeover. In an interview, Karges said the refuge staff has worked for years to involve residents in decision-making, and that was the reason most opposed the occupation.

“You didn’t see that community raise their hands and support the militia occupation. You saw them raise their hands and ask them to go home,” he said.

“Without that process, I’m convinced we would have had a different outcome,” Karges said. The occupation would have lasted longer, and some federal workers — including Karges — probably would have felt so unwelcome they wouldn’t have returned, he said.

The protesters wanted the federal government to relinquish control of Western lands and free two imprisoned Oregon ranchers. They eventually surrendered and now face federal charges, but one — Robert “LaVoy” Finicim — was fatally shot by officers.

In Portland, Oregon, on Thursday, 42-year-old Jason Blomgren pleaded guilty to a federal conspiracy charge related to the occupation.

Blomgren, of Murphy, North Carolina, traveled across the country to join the protesters. He told a judge he served as an armed guard.

In exchange for his plea, prosecutors dismissed a charge of possessing a firearm in a federal facility. Sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 14. Prosecutors recommend six months of home detention.

Karges said workers finished repairing damage caused by the occupiers on Wednesday. The next step is deciding on new security measures. He said that could include surveillance cameras and gates but he declined to offer specifics.

Crews have caught up on maintenance they couldn’t do during the occupation, but some wildlife-management work was thrown permanently behind, Karges said.

“Biological activities, when you miss the window, you miss the window,” he said. “It’s not there again for a long time. Those things you can’t catch up on.”

Talk to us

More in Local News

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Lake Stevens in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Everett boy, 12, identified as Davies Beach drowning victim

Malachi Bell was one of three swimmers in distress Sunday in Lake Stevens. He did not survive.

Port of Everett hosting annual open house after pandemic hiatus

Also, Rustic Cork Wine Bar plans to open a second shop at Fisherman’s Harbor — the latest addition to the port’s “wine walk.”

Granite Falls
Granite Falls man died after crashing into tree

Kenneth Klasse, 63, crashed June 14. He was pronounced dead a week later. Police continued to investigate.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Lake Stevens in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Motorcyclist dies in crash near Lake Stevens

Around 10 p.m., a motorcyclist and a passenger car crashed north of Lake Stevens. The man driving the motorcycle died.

Food forum
Cool down with these summertime drink recipes

Refresh yourself with two light, refreshing drink recipes.

Rev. Eugene Casimir Chirouse, pictured here holding a cross at front right in 1865, founded a boarding school for Indigenous students on Tulalip Bay. It became one of the first religious schools in the country to receive a federal contract to educate Indigenous youth, with the goal of assimilation. (Courtesy of Hibulb Cultural Center)
Unearthing the ‘horrors’ of the Tulalip Indian School

The Tulalip boarding school evolved from a Catholic mission into a weapon for the government to eradicate Native culture. Interviews with survivors and primary documents give accounts of violent cultural suppression under the guise of education at the “Carlisle of the West,” modeled after the notorious Carlisle Indian Industrial School.

A brief timeline of Pacific Northwest boarding schools

The Tulalip Indian School had roots as a Catholic mission founded in 1857. Its history is intertwined with the Tulalip Reservation.

Laura Johnson, left, and Susan Paine.
After Roe ruling, Edmonds to consider abortion rights measure

A proposed resolution would direct police not to investigate people seeking or providing abortions.

The Supreme Court in Washington D.C. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Supreme Court limits EPA in curbing power plant emissions

This impacts how the nation’s main anti-air pollution law can be used to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Most Read