Pilot bails from balky skydiving plane, lives

ST. LOUIS — A 21-year-old pilot who successfully parachuted from his crashing plane after unloading a group of skydivers showed remarkable poise under pressure, the manager of the airport where the skydiving school is based said Monday.

Shawn Kinmartin’s own skydive on Saturday marked the first time he jumped out of plane, even though the Southern Illinois University student worked as a pilot for Fly Free Skydiving at Festus Memorial Airport near Crystal City, Missouri, south of St. Louis.

The Cessna 182 that Kinmartin was flying went haywire when the reserve parachute of one of the last skydivers to leave the plane accidentally deployed and got snared on a part of the aircraft’s tail section that controls its climb and descent, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

Kinmartin said that as he wrestled with the plane’s controls more than 11,000 feet above ground, the pilot of a second plane he had asked to give his plane a look reported the damage.

Unable to return to the airport, Kinmartin guided the plane to a remote agricultural stretch across the Mississippi River in Illinois and bailed out using a parachute he had on standby for just such emergencies. He said he was only about 2,000 feet up when he jumped.

The plane spiraled into a corn field just southwest of Valmeyer as Kinmartin floated down and completed his maiden jump.

“I finally had the rush of skydiving,” Kinmartin told St. Louis’ KSDK-TV. “If I was inside the plane when it crashed the way it did, I wouldn’t be standing here.”

Kinmartin didn’t respond to a Monday email requesting an interview, and the skydiving school didn’t respond to phone messages seeking comment.

Steve Riggle, a 57-year-old pilot who manages the small airport south of St. Louis, said Kinmartin showed cool under pressure, especially for such a young pilot.

“I would have to say I’d have given him really high marks,” Riggle said Monday. “The way he was talking on the radio — you could tell a little stress in his voice, but for the most part he kept it together. Under the circumstances, I think he handled it very well.”

Talk to us

More in Local News

Buffets and salad bars back on the menu in Snohomish County

Gov. Jay Inslee has revised rules to allow self-serve food areas in Phase 2 of the state’s reopening.

State: Held up jobless claims to be resolved by end of month

Just under 35,000 people are still waiting for resolution of their claims for unemployment benefits.

Everett’s Grand Avenue bridge getting closer to opening

Construction is set to finish later this month. But don’t expect a grand opening party.

Governor’s no-mask, no-service order begins across Washington

“Just do not ring up the sale,” Gov. Jay Inslee said about customers who do not don the proper masks.

8-mile detour for Highway 9 roundabout work starts Thursday

The intersection of Highway 9 and 108th Street Northeast in Marysville will close until Monday.

Kenmore woman reportedly shot in knee near Mill Creek

A passing driver took the victim and her boyfriend to Swedish Mill Creek Hospital.

Over 100 forced to disperse as Everett evicts homeless camp

The ACLU urged city leaders not to sweep the stopgap camp off Rucker Avenue. It was cleared Thursday afternoon.

Humpback whale hit by Mukilteo ferry, Chip, is presumed dead

The whale, age 3, has not been seen since being struck Monday. His companion was later seen alone.

Most Read