Questions arise over Bush’s use of force

  • Tom Philpott / Military Update
  • Friday, November 28, 2003 9:00pm
  • Local News

With President Bush signing the first-ever $400 billion defense bill, including another military pay raise and housing allowance increase that will more than match growth in wages and rents nationwide, it would seem hard to argue that this administration has lost touch with troops.

Yet, beneath the surface image captured by an amiable signing ceremony at the Pentagon on Nov. 24 are currents of worry and disappointment inside the military over actions of the Bush administration.

No president since the all-volunteer force began 30 years ago has used the military as aggressively. Bush, after all, elected to invade Iraq and to remove whatever threat Saddam Hussein and his illusive weapons of mass destruction posed. The war and occupation of Iraq, and also Afghanistan, have left U.S. military operations at their highest sustained level in decades.

They also have left many service members concerned, mostly over the length and frequency of deployments, given the enormity of Bush’s promise to establish a democracy in Iraq for a people more used to tyranny and more inclined by culture and geography toward Muslim fundamentalism.

Other service members are wary that a presidential election next year will shake administration resolve. A premature exit could dishonor the sacrifices so far, particularly of those who have died or been wounded.

Despite that sensitive backdrop, Defense Department officials led by Secretary Donald Rumsfeld seem unconcerned about angering large segments of the military community. For every initiative to please military folks, such as contracting with movers to reimburse families for the full replacement value of goods damaged in household moves, two seem to float by aimed at tightening people programs.

Key provisions of the defense bill Bush signed will benefit active duty personnel, reserve and guard members, and disabled retirees in ways the administration opposed. One will extend through December 2004 wartime increases in danger pay and family separation allowance that Congress approved in April. The administration wanted them rolled back. By late summer, it argued, these increases should be replaced by higher hazardous duty pay but only to persons assigned to Iraq and Afghanistan. Congress, at least this year, declined to go along.

Another initiative the Bush team fought will open Tricare to nonmobilized reservists who lack employer-provided health insurance.

A third will phase out, over 10 years, the ban on receipt of both military retired pay and disability compensation for retirees with disabilities rated 50 percent or higher. A fourth will expand combat-related special compensation to any retiree with combat or combat-training injuries, not just to those with Purple Hearts or disabilities rated at least 60 percent.

Another initiative gives reservists and families immediate and unlimited access to commissaries, which are military grocery stores.

None of these gains would have been in the 2004 Defense Authorization Act had Congress followed White House budget guidance.

Meanwhile, Rumsfeld and his top aides are sending fresh signals that they want future budgets squeezed on prized military perks, including commissaries and dependent schools. Defense officials said in a mid-October memo that they plan to close 19 smaller commissaries, most of them overseas, and have their eye on 19 more. They also plan to close Defense Department-run schools on up to 14 military bases stateside and overseas.

Gen. B.B. Bell, commander of U.S. Army Europe, in a Nov. 15 memo described as nearly "unconscionable" the proposal by defense officials to close four small commissaries in Germany "at a time when military sponsors are deployed to hostile-fire environments."

Joyce Wessel Raezer, director of government relations for the National Military Family Association, said it’s time to stop raising anxiety levels among military families with "business case" attacks on military support systems such as schools and the $1 billion-a-year commissary subsidy.

"Why is it so important right now to nickel and dime the commissary benefit?" she said. "It’s just raising stress. And it is small potatoes compared to some of the other items in the defense budget."

Raezer, wife of a retired Army officer, said the strain on families from the uncertainty of current deployments is unlike anything she has seen in her long association with service life.

"Volunteers on the front line of family support are wearing out," she said, as they counsel families stressed by finances, child care challenges and the constant danger to loved ones in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Deployments not only are longer than planned, but loved ones who return safely could return to Iraq or Afghanistan in another year or two. It’s a worry reinforced, Raezer said, "with every announcement by leadership that we’re going to be in this for a long time."

Comments are welcomed. Write to Military Update, P.O. Box 231111, Centreville, VA 20120-1111, e-mail milupdate@aol.com or go to: www.militaryupdate.com.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Monroe woman missing since Tuesday, says sheriff’s office

Kenna Harris, 25, was last seen leaving her family’s home and was reportedly on her way to Walmart.

Tyler Chism was diagnosed with COVID-19 and is currently cleared, by CDC standards, but chooses to remain indoors at home on March 20 in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Gallery: Life in Snohomish County as coronavirus takes hold

A collection of images by our staff photographers from our COVID-19 coverage over the past month.

Watch Gov. Jay Inslee’s Thursday news conference here

He will be joined by state health officials to give an update on the coronavirus response.

Victims of 2 Snohomish County homicides are identified

In unrelated cases, a man died of a gunshot in Lynnwood, and an Everett landlord died of blunt-force trauma.

Closed Edmonds car lot dodged hundreds of thousands in taxes

For years, Kero’s Auto Brokers greatly underreported its sales, and how much it owed the state.

Final farewells continue, but few are allowed to say goodbye

Rules for funerals limit attendees to immediate family. In Darrington, a memorial tradition is on hold.

Watch Gov. Jay Inslee’s Wednesday news conference here

He is expected to discuss the need for manufacturers to provide personal protective equipment.

COVID-19 and supporting essential workers

Public Health Essentials! A blog by the Snohomish Health District.

Inslee signs transportation budget, with car tabs in mind

The state will account for vehicle registration fees it collects, in case they have to be given back.

Most Read