50 years ago (1957)
Contractor Pete Newland handed the keys to Trinity Episcopal Church’s new parish hall to Jack Robinson, building committee chairman, as they took one last look at the structure before the next day’s dedication service. It replaced a hall erected in 1912 that had at one time served as their church.
25 years ago (1982)
The Monroe Historical Society’s first museum was ready to open the next day. The group in 1976 started a campaign to find a home for the hundreds of artifacts garnered from area basements and attics. Dozens of items were put in the care of the society in the few days before the opening on Main Street.
The Herald was sponsoring a forecaster contest for the football season. There were $100 weekly prizes, and the grand prize was a Hawaiian vacation.
By Jack O’Donnell from Herald archives at the Everett Public Library