50 years ago (1955)
After seven years at 2215 Broadway, Carter’s Drug Store moved into a new concrete-block building a half-block south at 2227 Broadway. The new store, complete with a towering neon sign to attract north Broadway shoppers, would provide customers twice the elbowroom, according to owner-manager LeRoy Carter.
Members of the Young People’s Luther League of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church washed pastor Milton Nesse’s 1954 Chevrolet station wagon at the Union 76 station at 37th Street and Broadway. Among those taking part in the car wash fundraiser were Gloria Watson, Lawrence Knutson, Roger Robinson, Danny Anderson, Janet Carlson and Janice Hauglie.
25 years ago (1980)
Forms for the 1980 census were being mailed out on April Fool’s Day. The U.S. Census Bureau expected that they would be filled out and mailed back the same day. In the forms were questions that asked if you had running water and an indoor bathroom.
Burgerbeer’s at 9506 19th Ave. SE was open for breakfast. Some of the specials on the menu were “Burgerbeer’s Benedict,” steak and eggs, chef’s continental, and Italian sausage and eggs.
By Jack O’Donnell from Herald archives at the Everett Public Library