50 years ago (1954)
A fire of undetermined origin destroyed an Everett landmark, the Bond Street power station. Built near the turn of the century, it once provided steam heat for the downtown area through a series of connecting pipes. It also served as a foundry.
It was the grand opening of Jim Harbin’s Richfield Service at 40th Street and Broadway across from Memorial Stadium. There were drawings for a Coleman camp stove and Presto cooker. Those purchasing 10 gallons of gas received a can of MJB coffee.
25 years ago (1979)
John Bush was named acting chairman of the newly formed Port Gardner Association. The group would be organized at a meeting in the Knights of Columbus Hall on Norton Avenue. Their purpose was to work to improve the neighborhood.
Stanwood public works director Archie Brown noted that the city was growing with the annexation of the Vadset property and Fox Hill in the northeast part of town. Also, Richard Higby was sworn in as the town’s third police officer, and Mayor Ken Day declared August as Blackberry Month.
By Jack O’Donnell from Herald archives at Everett Public Library